Performance margins for ram specs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gabb

gone
A great article:
Memory and Performance--The Final Word - CPUs, Boards & Components by ExtremeTech
which also links to a prior article where they discuss the benefits of 2gb vs 4gb
some things I learned reading this

1. I knew timings and clock speeds had a small difference in overall performance but their tests show in many cases less then a 3% difference, its almost mind boggling how much trouble people go through to OC their ram and see how little different it makes

2. That crappy kingston value ram isn't really that far behind in performance from the Corsair high end model, even when it comes to ddr2 667 vs 1033!

3. I really should look into getting 4 gigs of ram come november where hopefully even better deals are out then they already are

4. I hate the fact theres like gazillions of different ram types for each company with confusing names and such

The only reason I bother overclocking my ram, is because it's directly linked to the fsb.

If my ram won't overclock neither will my CPU.

if I want to hit 500 fsb my ram has to at least overclock to ddr1000

If I used 667, I'd never break 3600mhz.

As far as performance differences for just the ram speeds, yeah I agree, negligable. but if it won't overclock well, forget it.

(some motherboards can unlink the multiplier and it doesn't matter so much, but I can't with this one :/)

Yeh i thought that was pretty much the case. But i do still think there is a case for tighter timings, and more ram making games smoother and lessens stuttering. Benchmarks dont show that sort of thing, cause they only show fps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom