Performance improvment help. - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 12:52 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Performance improvment help.

I would like to ask a group of bias persons for advice on what I should do to enhance the performance of my computer. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Current specs:

System:
Windows XP Professional
Version 2002
SP3

Computer:
Intel[R]
Celeron[R] CPU @ 3.2GHz
3.2GHz, 2.0GB of RAM
Physical Address Extension

Graphics:
Radeon HD 4650
GDDR2 Memory 1 GB

Monitor:
19" Sceptre LCD

I would like for my computer to be able to run max graphics while playing certain games. Some of the games include, but are not limited to, Counter-Strike Source, RuneScape, Call of Duty 4, and World of WarCraft. Also, I am on a strict budget of $400-$500. Thanks to all whom chime in!

Old 03-06-2011, 12:59 PM   #2 (permalink)
TF's First Dry Ice User!

Default Re: Performance improvment help.

you should really look into building a new pc. The only potential hope you have is if it's a lga775 socket board that has a pci-e slot. To determine that we'll need to know more about the pc. did you build it yourself or is it a prebuilt? i have a feeling that you didn't build it yourself and so if you have the make and model we can give some upgrade suggestions from there.

A notice to EVERYONE who has posted here with a computer problem, I highly encourage you to keep current with the forums, even if it's browsing for 10-15 minutes during lunch, or before you go to bed at night. There are many things that you can learn and apply to future issues. My goal is to help people get to a point where they can use their own knowledge to help themselves, and others.

Also please use the search button. You've got a 50/50 chance that someone's asked your question and we've answered it.
Old 03-06-2011, 01:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I do not know the model type or number. Also, I do not know if it has a PCI-E slot. I do know that it has several PCI slots and one of which is a weird slot. I know that it is a factory built Compaq. And for future reference how much would it cost me to build a new computer if i salvaged everything salvageable from my current computer.
Old 03-06-2011, 01:11 PM   #4 (permalink)
TF's First Dry Ice User!

I'm gonna guess that it's an AGP slot in the computer, to make sure download the program CPU-z and run it, go to the mainboard tab (you'll see what i mean when you run it) and tell me what it says under Graphic Interface for the version. If it is an AGP slot you can buy a faster card but the processor will still be holding you back a lot.

And to play the games you want you can probably build a new computer for under 600, definitely possible if you reuse your monitor and XP. But your components are pretty old and the only thing I would consider salvaging would be your hard drive and cd drive which can knock some money off a build.
A notice to EVERYONE who has posted here with a computer problem, I highly encourage you to keep current with the forums, even if it's browsing for 10-15 minutes during lunch, or before you go to bed at night. There are many things that you can learn and apply to future issues. My goal is to help people get to a point where they can use their own knowledge to help themselves, and others.

Also please use the search button. You've got a 50/50 chance that someone's asked your question and we've answered it.
Old 03-06-2011, 01:23 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

You refreshed my memory. It is an AGP slot. The disk drive is a DVD drive so I could salvage that. But you don't think I could salvage the Radeon 4650 HD? And if not, why? Also, I couldn't just purchase a new processor and install it. Oh, one more thing I never had a Windows XP disk. The computer was a gift from my dad. Is there any way to put the OS on a disk, or a number of disks? Thanks.
Old 03-06-2011, 01:28 PM   #6 (permalink)
TF's First Dry Ice User!

it wouldn't make sense to save the gpu because AGP had been dead for a number of years now and you'd be hard pressed to find an agp motherboard. You could drop a new processor into the pc, but again you're dealing with ancient and dead technologies for the most part and you'd be much better off in the long run to not put money into it and save it all for a completely new build.

Old 03-06-2011, 01:42 PM   #7 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I appreciate your honesty. Although, I don't believe the GPU is an AGP PCI card. I think it is just a regular PCI card. If that still doesn't validate it to be salvageable then can you please recommend components for a new build? $550 dollar max budget? I realize I'm asking for a near impossible task but bare with me. Thanks.
Old 03-06-2011, 02:49 PM   #8 (permalink)

You could run a 770 board and an x2 555...
Or this combo:

Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more!

Its $328 aqnd only needs drives and a gpu.

Old 03-06-2011, 04:18 PM   #9 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I'm not as technologically savvy as you, obviously, but do you think that is a good deal, and why or why not? Also, would I be able to use my ATI Radeon 4650 HD with that combo or would I have to upgrade? What "drives" would I need for that combo?
Old 03-06-2011, 04:35 PM   #10 (permalink)

Its 10x better than what you have now, and you'd use your old hard drive dvd and yes you could reuse your video card.

Even though its the same speed technically, The advancements in cpus make it alot faster.

Is it great?? no, but its a decent combo.

I could spend more of your money, but it seemed like you didn't want to spend too much So I went affordable.

Closed Thread