Pentium D Dual Core CPU Chips question. - Page 3 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 04-30-2006, 08:48 PM   #21 (permalink)
Super Techie

lol, sorry but you really should go to AMD!

Old 04-30-2006, 08:55 PM   #22 (permalink)
Master Techie

Go with whats best for you at that time, whether it be intel or AMD. This thread is nearly turning into an Intel vs AMD again.... anyway technology moves fast go with whats best at the time for what you use your comp for end of story.

Old 04-30-2006, 09:06 PM   #23 (permalink)
Lord Techie

ok seeing as your first question hasn't been properly answered: there are 2 dual core cores, the Presler and the Smithfield. the smithfield is basically 2 prescott cores on one chip and it gets dang hot. smithfield cores are labelled as the 8XX series. Presler are two Cedar Mill (65nm) cores on one chip and are said to run substantially cooler than the smithfield. they are labelled as the 9XX series and have double the L2 cache of the smithfield so should overall perform a little higher and run cooler.

now the criticism begins. why on earth are you being so stubborn? AMD is superior at the moment and it is obvious. instead you are opting for an inferior product. if you are thinking you can just upgrade your processor straight to a pentium D you may want to look a little more into it because only a select few chipsets support the pentium D, my guess is that if you currently have a single core yours may not be one of them. it also seems that you are just hoping to upgrade the processor again with the release of conroe, but once again yoyu would have to have the correct chipset

edit: also the conroe is a dual core chip. the single core variant to my knowledge will be known as Merom. unlike the yonah core solo and duo.
Old 05-01-2006, 02:50 AM   #24 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Mate, I Like Intel for their STEADY MBoards... usualy have a lot better DDR2 Support.. nope i'm buying a total new PC Aswell..... and i've been using Intel for ever and so I don't like to switch it now....if I can find out a chip I like of nowdays.. i'll just buy it, but no, I won't be moving to AMD I believe.. at least so I think.. for now

BTW As I couldn't find a decent DFI LanParty Board around my place for sale, I decided to go for this mobo: http://tw2005.giga-byte.com/Motherbo...945P%20Pro.htm

What do you think? ^^
Old 05-01-2006, 02:58 AM   #25 (permalink)
Lord Techie

well if you really won't make the jump to AMD that board would be ok. i still don't see why you think this way though. Intel is no more stable than AMD, although that is what their marketing department said for a while.
Old 05-02-2006, 03:44 AM   #26 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Its no use guys. I have friend who is convinced Intel beats anything AMD has, and that Intels run cooler, more stable and faster cause of HT. Never mind the fact that my Barton is OCed, and runs 10C cooler than his 3.0GHz Prescott, and that I get the same framerates in most games with a worse GFX card. Incredible how well Intel managed to brainwash their customers for so many years!
TT Big Typhoon
eVGA 7900GT KO Superclocked (650/1650)
250GB Maxtor DiamondMax SATA2 HDD
Hiper Type-R 580W SLi PSU
19" Sony Trinitron CRT
Old 05-02-2006, 06:46 AM   #27 (permalink)
Banned

If ignorance is bliss you must be one very happy person.

ffs go AMD, the facts are there... you can do it..
Old 05-02-2006, 07:11 AM   #28 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Quote:
Originally posted by Yoad
Mate, I Like Intel for their STEADY MBoards... usualy have a lot better DDR2 Support..
there's nothing wrong with AMD boards. Via and especially Nvidia do a good job making the chipsets.
there are extremely good AMD motherboards out there

and AMD hasn't even got DDR2 support yet, so Intel's don't really have "better" DDR2 support.
anyway, not having DDR2 is not really an issue for AMD anyway. their onboard memory controller gives them very fast memory access. with DDR1, they are right up there in memory bandwith against Intel's with DDR2.

but the decision is yours...

if you do get an Intel, I'd recommend you get an Asus motherboard. they probabbly make the best Intel boards.
I'm not a big fan of Gigabyte motherboards. I mean, they're not bad, but they're not the best... it's kinda hard to explain, but their architecture isn't the best for performance.

but if you decide to switch to AMD, I'd recommend an MSI motheroard with an Nforce3/4 chip (Nforce3 = AGP, Nforce4 = PCI-E)
or if you have a bit more money, go for a DFI NF4 series motherboard (Ultra-D or SLI-DR)
Old 05-02-2006, 03:48 PM   #29 (permalink)
Master Techie

Have both AMD single core 3500+ (Venice) in my Gamer and a Prescott 3.0 800fsb in my production puter. The AMD Idle (37 degrees) using an artic cooler monster fan (side mounter) and my Prescott runs a 39 degrees with an Antec cooler. But I have yet to run a Pentium D. AMD is a super and cool running CPU so far. very Impressed. The old 478 Architecture on my D865Perl intel board is significantly slower. The AMD system has Corsair memory and 2 Raptors in RAID 0 so it not a fair comparison. Talking about a screamer!!! Raptors in RAID 0...OMG!!!

Closed Thread