Pentium D Dual Core CPU Chips question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yoad

Daemon Poster
I was wondering, what's the name of the core of these CPU's [Example: Irwindale, Prescott, Northwood etc]

And I am intending to buy a new pc with a pretty nice sum of money and might consider buying the Pentium D 940.. but I have two really important questions...

A. Will the Pentium D 930 or 940 [3GHz - 3.2GHz] do any better than my current CPU? Which is a Prescott, Pentium 4 3.0GHz with HyperThreating Technologoy... and if it will [as I assume] by how far will the preformance will be increased? :)

B. I am trying to reach lowest temp possible with best resaults [whether its with OC or w/out...].. as I know Prescott is a 'hot' chip by its nature.. I was wondering what is the normal range of Temps in the Pentium D 930 & 940 Serier.. (Oh yeah, I don't have Water-Cooling, my dad will kill me if i ask him to buy that too :p we just bought a Gigabyte GH-PCU22-VG Rocket 3D cooler so water cooling is out of question for now ;) )

Would be happy to hear you'r pro's and con's over these chips..

Thanks in advance.

They are the code names for the CPUs. Prescott is a 90nm part, Northwood is a 130nm part.

Prescott does throw a ton of heat.

The Pentium D has two cores on one chip instead of one like you have.

thats answers none of my questions, and its not very specific.

I was asking which code name does he has, not what the codenames mean :)

And also, I know Prescott overheats quickly, I have one ;) But I was asking about the range of temps that the Dual Core produces... is it around the same as prescott? lower? higher?

And I wasn't asking about how many cores it has.. I know it has TWO cores, thats why its... Double Core, lol :p ... I was asking how much will the performence increase.. by little, by far, by 100%... or will they 'skyrate' [the performence]

they come with two different cores. The presler and the smithfield. No idea on the temps, but I have heard the presler is basically two prescotts jammed together, so I'd imagine they have the same problem.

oh yeah I have a prescott too, it sucks go AMD.

harry18 said:
Thanks, that answers some of my questions, so the Pentium D Has a "Presler" Core... however i still can't tell what will be the temp diffrence or the performence diffrence between my current CPU (Pentuim 4 3.0GHz 800FSB) and the Pentium D...

Can anyone tell me that please? :)

bum said:
they come with two different cores. The presler and the smithfield. No idea on the temps, but I have heard the presler is basically two prescotts jammed together, so I'd imagine they have the same problem.

oh yeah I have a prescott too, it sucks go AMD.

Well, I don't think I will move to AMD right now, If its not a good chip either i'll wait a couple of months for the Conroe, looking forward to that one.. don't you think waiting would be a better idea? :p

if u want better performance, ever consider AMD? its way better than the current Intels.

bit OT here but when are the new super good intels goming out...and any ideas on price?

no1 knows yet.......... if anytime u were to go with an AMD its NOW! right now AMD is wooping Intel's rich white a55 in every aspect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom