PCI express or AGP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darke

Beta member
Ok since Elderscrolls 4: Oblivion is coming out soon I want to upgrade my videocard. At the moment I plan on buying a Geforce 7800GT but I don't know whether to upgrade my Motherboard to a PCI-Express model or stick with the AGP. I know switching will set me back quite a bit of money but I want to know if it is worth it in the long run.

I have an ASUS P4P800 Deluxe Motherboard and an ASUS N6600 AGP videocard.

nitestick said:
if you want to upgrade then i would say getting a pci-e motherboard would be better in the long run.

Totally true. PCI Express is the new standard. No use getting yourself in another pinch down the road.

Ryan

You can get by with AGP and a 6800 series or so AGP card (for high settings) for Oblivion, but I suggest going ahead and upgrading to PCI-E now. AGP as at the end of its rope and will soon be obsolete for gaming as the 7800GS is probably the best AGP card you'll ever see.

Well, if you're buying a 7800GT, you will need a PCI-E motherboard, cuz the 7800GT is only for PCI-E. The only reason you should consider AGP is if its an extremely budget PC that graphics don't matter much on. PCI-E is the only way to go for a gaming PC.

Thanks for all the help guys. Looks like I'm going to get a PCI-E motherboard then. Another question, if I get a SLI Motherboard and get a AGP to PCI-E adapter for my N6600 so I can use both my N6600 and 7800 will it work or are the adapters not SLI compatible?

Oh and the 7800GT does come in AGP(after PCI-E version came out) ... The 7800GTX doesn't.

no only the 7800gs comes as AGP to my knowledge. SLI is only a feature of PCI-E cards so it will not work on an AGP card with an adapter. also SLI requires that both cards are the same and in 99.99% of the time they must be the same model and manufacturer although i read on anandtech that they managed to get 2 different manufacturers cards in SLI

ok cool. Ah, I looked back at the 7800 in AGP and you are right, Its the 7800GS :)

Thanks again for all the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom