PCI-e Slots and SLI

Status
Not open for further replies.

JayMiller8080

In Runtime
My second gtx 260 is arriving soon, so I gave my motherboard a quick review to be better prepared. I noticed that my first video card is in the slot with "x16" written beneath it. The slot I had planned on putting the second card in has "x8" in it. There is then another with "x4" I believe. Do they make mobos with all x16 slots? What does that mean for performance? Will I still notice a considerable difference in SLI with the one x16 and one x8 slot? Just wanted to clarify so I know why I'm putting things where they are. :yum:

Thanks!

Yes, they make mobo's with more than (1) X16 slot. You usually have to buy the more expensive model of a mobo to get all the advanced features.

I don't think you'll see any major performance loss with the X8 slot. The loss of performance is more pronounced as move up to faster and faster cards.

I agree with Slay, I don't think the 260 will max out an x8 slot... btw both will drop to x8 when sli'd.

Aw, bummer. You said a gtx 260 wont max out an x8 though, so I should still get the most out of the SLI yeah?

Also, there is a possibility that its two x8 slots below the x16 one, but I can't remember. If I were to put both cards in two x8 slots, would that be the same performance as one in a x8 and one in a x16? I only ask because my case get a little cramped here, with the addition of another case fan, so I'll be looking for ways to either actually fit in the new components or improve air flow.

As far as I remember reading, most gpus perform with no limitations in an x8 slot. So yes, you will get the most out of the SLI.

If you have 2 x8s down low, they should work with no issues. You should see my case with 2 260s in an Atec 900 and DA700 psu.... packed comes to mind.

As far as I remember reading, most gpus perform with no limitations in an x8 slot. So yes, you will get the most out of the SLI.

If you have 2 x8s down low, they should work with no issues. You should see my case with 2 260s in an Atec 900 and DA700 psu.... packed comes to mind.

Far back as I can remember, gfx card bandwith has never matched the full capability they are provided. I remember when AGP 8X came out and I only had the 4X slot. My buddy got a x8 mobo same gfx card as me, and he didn't get any better fps even with a slightly better processor.

In the world of graphics cards, I don't think the bandwith they are provided will ever have trouble keeping up. At least for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom