PCI-E and PCI-E 2.0. whats the difference?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrazyRu55ian

Beta member
Hello,

I am thinking about updating my old computer and I found that there is new PCI-E 2.0 on the market. how is PCI-E 2.0 different from normal PCI-E and is PCI-E 2.0 compatable with normal PCI-E stuff.

thanks,
CRAZYRU55IAN

its faster and yes its backwards compatible

and the speed diff. isn't noticebale

2.0 allows more bandwidth and power through the PCIe slot. But current graphic cards do not use the full potential of 1.1 yet.

2.0 allows more bandwidth and power through the PCIe slot. But current graphic cards do not use the full potential of 1.1 yet.

is it because everyone here on these forums say it doesnt use the full potential of 1.1 or is it because through benchmarks this has been proven?

think about it though, in SLI it a dual x16 mode, both those cards can't use all the bandwidth, its available, but not using it all, but can use all the x8 x8 mode with a 650i/570a chipset, which is the speed difference sometimes

think about it though, in SLI it a dual x16 mode, both those cards can't use all the bandwidth, its available, but not using it all, but can use all the x8 x8 mode with a 650i/570a chipset, which is the speed difference sometimes

PCI Express Base 2.0 specification on 15 January 2007. PCIe 2.0 doubles the bus standard's bandwidth from 2.5 Gbit/s to 5 Gbit/s, meaning a x32 connector can transfer data at up to 16 GB/s in each direction.

PCIe 2.0 is completely backwards compatible with PCIe v1.x. Graphic cards and motherboards designed for v2.0 will be able to work with v1.1 and v1.0, and vice versa.

I doensn't make much of a difference now but it will. If you have a choice for nearly = price for a board with pcie 1.1x vs 2.0 go with the 2.0 and you'll be money ahread in the next three years when it will start to make a difference.

Benchmarks may give you extra "cool points" for the extra bandwidth. But in real life gaming, you wont get any extra performance thats worth mentioning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom