PCI-E 2.0 help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thresh25

Daemon Poster
I'm looking to upgrade my gaming rig a lil bit, to adjust for crysis, UT3, and starcraft 2. To give some backround info right now I've got an Asus M2N-E SLI mobo, 3 gigs of dual channel pc6400, amd x2 2.1ghz, and an XFX 8600 GT. They no longer make my XFX 8600 GT model, mine was 256mb DDR3. The only 8600 256MB ddr3 they have now is a completely new model, without a fan, and with a heatsink, so I'm not sure if that'd be compatible in SLI. So I've decided I want to upgrade to an 8800.

This being said, on Tigerdirect all the 8800s are now PCI-E 2.0. I'm pretty sure my mobo can't run pci-e 2.0 so what I have heard is that it is backwards compatible, and it will run it in pci-e 1.0. If this is the case, is it really worth buying the 8800 then? Because if it downgrades it, then do I get better performance than my 8600? Let me know please and thanks. Thresh25

It doesn't really downgrade since the 8800gt doesn't use the full bandwidth of pcie x16. Basically you would be fine. I run a 8800gt in a regular pcie and it works great.

All right, question to that then, is yours the old 8800? Cuz if i think I'm correct the original 8800s weren't 2.0. could be wrong. and then just a preference question, would you reccomend the 8800? Is there much of a difference from the 8600? And last, would you reccomend I get an even better card than that? Thanks much

You wont notice it.
It will work.
It will be a thousand times better than your 8600.

I highly recommend the 8800gt

well that was short, sweet, and to the point haha. thanks! if there's any other opinions I'd be glad to hear them as well.

FINAL EDIT: XFX GeForce 9600 GT is cheaper than the 8800s on tigerdirect. are they better? I work at sears and a lot of times our older model TVs are actually priced more than out newer better models. is this the case? or is the 8800 better?

Hmm, I am sort of an Nvidia fanboy, though I wouldn't be opposed to it had my board been an ATI board. And due to the fact I want to some day try SLI I think I'm going to have to pass but I'll keep it in mind.

All right cool thanks. Since my board is an nvidia, I'll go with the 8800. Thanks a bunch guys, man I can't wait.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom