PC3200 vs PC4400

Status
Not open for further replies.

Epicus

Solid State Member
I have a very important decision regarding what is the best memory for my computer.

My friend got a new motherboard to upgrade to the new PCIe cards and he gave me his motherboard: http://www.asus.com/products4.aspx?modelmenu=2&model=478&l1=3&l2=15&l3=68
It's the A8V model. I am going to use my current computer parts with this new motherboard, but I'd upgrade the CPU to AMD 64+3500.

Now the question I have, is I also had plans to increasing the memory of the CPU. I am currently running 256x2 Corsair TWIN-X PC3200(5-2-2-2) Dual Channel @400MHz. I have plans on buying a whole new "pair" set of upgrade. The question is: Is it better to buy PC4400 that can clock up to 533 and run it underclocked @400MHz, or should I stick with PC3200 which's peak is 400MHz clock. Will I get better performance out of the PC4400 or about the same. I was thinking about just going with the 512x2 Corsair TWIN-X PC3200 Low Latency for my computer.

If I didn't support enough information please tell me ^^ Any info would be more than great. Thanks.

This may be false information, but I read somewhere that typically you want to run your memory at the same clock speed as your CPU's FSB. In that case, would I get worse results running 4400@533MHz with CPU@400MHz?

you can't run it at DDR533 without overclocking the cpu. the maximum memory speed is determined by the cpu's FSB. the cpu's FSB is actually 200mhz as well. DDR400 ram is 200mhz but it reads/writes at both ends of each clock cycle so operates as if it were running at 400mhz hence the naming. your cpu FSB would have to be at 266mhz to run that memory full speed.

I see. Thanks for the info. Since I won't be doing much overclocking, I think I might stick with the PC3200's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom