PC upgrade questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

TermyBGL

Baseband Member
Hello all,
found your site and wanted a 2nd opinion on some upgrades I wanted to do soon ...

Please leave nothing out, I have good knowlage of PC's, gaming etc... I maybe not be at a "hacker" level but I'm also not a beginner.

Here are my questions, thanks in advance for any inputs.

----------------------------------------------------------------
I had a few question that I hoped you could answer ..

I saw the new AMD Athlon FX57 is out and is making a big name for it self. I currently have the following:

AMD Athlon 64 3000+ 2,0 Ghz
K8N Neo Motherbaord
ATI RADEON 800XT 256 MB
2048 MB RAM

And was thinking of upgrading the above...

Firstly the AMD FX57, price wise is outrageous but I found dabs.com do a quite good pay monthly deal which is in my budget. Is it really THAT good ? But to be honest, looking at other reviews I am just about bought by this product. AMD all the way.

Motherboards I am not so sure on and need your help. ... I have never upgraded 1 or known much about them. Would you recommend I upgrade to perhaps a ABN SLI? Or another 1 known to be the Best for gaming. I want to keep my PC in the running for the future and money is no expense. Best of the best.

Graphics card I was looking again at Geforce 7800GTX. Would you say this is the Absoloute best buy? I currenlty have ATI after switching from a Nvidia 5600 a few years ago and was very impressed by my 800XT which seems now is in the shadows of todays market. Would the 7800GTX be a wise upgrade? Again, I want the BEST OF THE BEST which is likely to remain 1 of the the best for a while. Is Nvidia the best?

RAM I was going to upgrade by a few 100 Also. Maybe notch it up to 3000.

Does this overall sound like a good plan?
I currenltly play high demand games such as BF2 and lots of dramatically improving strategy games.

Also, are you familiar to BF2? I see in the video/sound settings despite what i considered a great machine, cant select The Ultra setting ... why not? Would this upgrade change that?

Hope to hear from you,
thanks again for the great magazine.

TermyBGL

Your better off with a 3500 or a 3700 and crank the clock to 2.8ghz. Same thing without spending all that money on a FX-57. As for a video card, I would go with a 6800GT. 7800GT if you have the money.

the best ATI card out now is the X1xxx series, the best Nvidia card out is the 7xxx series. the X1xxx series beats the 7800 in 3dmark by only 1000. pretty close. plus ATI had an extra few months to tweek their cards to better standards

Was always a bigger fan of ATI despite the majority of games supporting Nvidia, then again I havent tried Nvidias latest work.

This is going to take some thinking.

So no one yet recommending FX57? Despite all the good reviews.
Not worth it?

The FX-57 is a great processor, but its overpriced. Just get an Athlon 64 3800+ and you'll be set. Nvidia is the king of the graphics market now. Although ATI does do better at 3dMark05, thats ALL it does better at. I don't know about you, but I dont prefer to spend hours running 3dMark05. If you're on a budget, get a 6800GT. If money is not an issue, get yourself a 7800GTX and an SLi motherboard so you can add another 7800GTX later on.

id go with the FX-57, so what if ya have to save for anotha couple weeks before your get it, but dont bother with that extra ram.

whoa whoa, i wouldnt be so fast to jump on the 57... get a 4400 and get good cooling and then overclock it... about the same performance if you overclock it enough just be sure to watch your temps :)

EDIT: and go with the 7800GT... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom