PC Specs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mollie

Solid State Member
Hi all -

It's been a while since I've built my own system (and I have definitely never built a system like the one I'm building right now!), and I just wanted to check that I had the core components down.

Also, I'm not a gamer at all, so I don't plan on doing any hardcore tweaking or overclocking. I really don't need a system like this, but I've always wanted to build one, just because. :D

Graphics Board:
BFG Tech BFGEGTX2851024OCPE GeForce GTX 285 1GB 512-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card Newegg.com - BFG Tech BFGEGTX2851024OCPE GeForce GTX 285 1GB 512-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

CPU:
Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80601920 Retail Newegg.com - Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

Cooler:
ZALMAN CNPS9900LED 120mm 2 Ball CPU Cooler - Retail Newegg.com - ZALMAN CNPS9900LED 120mm 2 Ball CPU Cooler - CPU Fans & Heatsinks

Motherboard:
ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard Newegg.com - ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

Memory:
CORSAIR DOMINATOR 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 15000) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail Newegg.com - CORSAIR DOMINATOR 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 15000) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

Hard Drive:
Western Digital Caviar GP WD10000LSRTL 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive - Retail Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar GP WD10000LSRTL 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives

Optical Drive:
PLEXTOR 20X DVD Super Multi Qflix Drive Black SATA Model PX-806SA SW - Retail Newegg.com - PLEXTOR Black 20X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 20X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 20X DVD Super Multi Qflix Drive - CD / DVD Burners

Power Supply:
CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Power Supplies

Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit OEM Newegg.com - Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit for System Builders - Operating Systems

Case:
NZXT TEMPEST Crafted Series CS-NT-TEM-B Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower
Computer Case ttp://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811146047

Keyboard/Mouse:
Logitech MX 3200 Black USB RF Wireless Standard Desktop Laser - Retail Newegg.com - Logitech MX 3200 Black 102 Normal Keys 21 Function Keys USB RF Wireless Standard Desktop Laser - Keyboards

Speakers:
Logitech X-530 70 Watts 5.1 Speaker - Retail Newegg.com - Logitech X-530 70 Watts 5.1 Speaker - Speakers

Monitor:
HP w2207h (already own)

Any suggestions would be really appreciated. :D

Thanks!

Mollie

WOW!

You don't game OR overclock, but this thing is MADE for doing both of those. All top shelf components, looks like a beast of a computer to me. Nothing I would add or take away. Looks like you did your hardware research!

Switch to a noctua CPU cooler. It's quite and since u are not ocing No reason for a loud fan.

This kind of makes me feel a little sick inside. You are buying a beast of a computer to do...nothing?

RAM is overkill, has to go. Go with Hefe's suggestion.

Get a better cooler, like the core contact, and get the i7 bracket for it:
Newegg.com - Sunbeam CR-CCTF 120 mm Core-Contact Freezer CPU Cooler W/TX-2 - CPU Fans & Heatsinks
Newegg.com - Sunbeam CR-LGA1366 LGA 1366 Core I7 Retention Bracket - CPU Fans & Heatsinks

The HDD Hefe mentioned is your best bet.

If you aren't going to game, you REALLY don't need the 285. If you still want a decent card, just get a GTX 260 c216. Much cheaper and more than you'll ever need anyway.

Hi everyone!

Thanks for all the replies! I really appreciate it.

WOW!....Looks like you did your hardware research!

Thanks. I tried! :laughing:

You know, at one point, I had this picked out and can't remember why I changed it. Is there any particular reason you suggested this one?

I don't like wireless keyboards and mice but I suppose if you're not gaming it won't be such a problem. That's a very nice PC there if you're not going to game, what are you going to do?

Oh, I have to have a wireless keyboard and mouse. It drives me crazy when they're wired and I have to keep adjusting them, especially the mouse! As for what I'm going to do, probably just the same as I do now. Maybe I will get into gaming, but everything out seems so complicated. The last time I did any gaming was Donkey Kong on SuperNintendo (probably before some of you were even born!) :laughing: I do like race car driving, though - anything good out where I could "race?"

This ram is more than enough and considerably cheaper.
Newegg.com - OCZ Gold 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

In fact this is a bit overkill but would give you the opportunity to play around a bit later.

Perfect! I was looking for something along those lines last night (and *not* quite as powerful as I ended up picking out), but I must have missed it. I was tired and just wanted to hurry up.

In fact this is a bit overkill but would give you the opportunity to play around a bit later.

Yes! You get it! That's what I want to do. I'm really just trying to learn, and "playing around" is how I've learned everything so far. Having good, solid components gives me the opportunity to do so without worrying (well, at least not a lot!) about something screwing up.

This kind of makes me feel a little sick inside. You are buying a beast of a computer to do...nothing?

I'm really not trying to make anyone sick! :( I'm sorry! (Well, sorry you're sick...*not* sorry for building the computer!

I'll take your word for the cooler, because that really is something I don't know much about. :)

If you aren't going to game, you REALLY don't need the 285. If you still want a decent card, just get a GTX 260 c216. Much cheaper and more than you'll ever need anyway.

Any particular reason why I don't need the 285 other than I'm not a gamer? One of the reasons I started building my own computers (and this was a few years ago, when XP was still in its infancy) was because the slowness of the graphics card (or the onboard graphics, as the case probably was) that came with a manufactured pc, and its tendency to freeze everything when I was trying to deal with even a semi-large picture, drove me nutso! I just like having a really powerful graphics card.

Thanks again everyone for your help!

Mollie

Sarcasm is just one more service I offer.

The GTX285 is the most powerful single GPU card available. It will max out the newest games at 1920x1200 res. If you are trying to look at a large picture, you could use a 9600gt and be overpowered. If you want a very powerful computer that you can play around with and do whatever you want with, the GTX260 core 216 is still a great card. Lots of people on this forum have them and recommend them for gaming builds. It is a top notch card.

This kinda makes me a little sick too. Its just hard hearing that you are buying this to... really just do nothing with when I'm trying my hardest to save up for a new monitor and graphics card to get away from my little 19" Acer

EDIT: Oh and a great racing game is GRID

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom