PC Overhaul question

pro2a

In Runtime
Ok, so I finally broke and upgraded my MoBo and RAM. Since I bought a OCZ Agility SSD w/ a 525/500mb/s read/write speed, I figured why not make the best of it :thumbsup: Currently I have a SATA II compatible MoBo and it holds back the full potential of my two SATA III SSD's. Hopefully this will rectify the issue. In addition this is a DDR3 board with a max frequency of 1866mhz :big_smile: I made sure to get RAM to meet that.

I bought 16GB of this. I think I'll see huge improvements in speed. So I have two questions....

First, do you think I will even notice a difference compared to my current 8GB of DDR2 memory which I believe is capped at 800mhz? Also do you think I will notice a difference in seek times with my SSD since I think I'm capped at like 200mb/s... will that additional 300mb/s even be noticeable?

Last, I just did a fresh install of Win 7 two weeks ago. Will there be any issues reinstalling it again only after two weeks? It is an OEM copy.

Ok, so I finally broke and upgraded my MoBo and RAM. Since I bought a OCZ Agility SSD w/ a 525/500mb/s read/write speed, I figured why not make the best of it :thumbsup: Currently I have a SATA II compatible MoBo and it holds back the full potential of my two SATA III SSD's. Hopefully this will rectify the issue. In addition this is a DDR3 board with a max frequency of 1866mhz :big_smile: I made sure to get RAM to meet that.

I bought 16GB of this. I think I'll see huge improvements in speed. So I have two questions....

First, do you think I will even notice a difference compared to my current 8GB of DDR2 memory which I believe is capped at 800mhz? Also do you think I will notice a difference in seek times with my SSD since I think I'm capped at like 200mb/s... will that additional 300mb/s even be noticeable?

Last, I just did a fresh install of Win 7 two weeks ago. Will there be any issues reinstalling it again only after two weeks? It is an OEM copy.
Unless you get an FX CPU you wont really be able to take advantage of 1866 without OCing the FSB as Phenom chips have a max of 1600 officially supported. The difference between DDR2 and 3 is incredible really even on AMD.

To the naked eye the difference between SATA 2 and 3 on an already fast SSD is really not much if any at all. There will be no difference in seek times as that is governed by the SSD itself, not the bus.

So basically I could run at the advertised speeds if I wanted, I'd just have to overclock my CPU? That or get a new CPU?

I got everything put together, and something made a difference in speed. I'm not sure what, but it is noticeable.

Back
Top Bottom