PC Checklist and Recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can say it has outright support for up to 128 gigs of ram something you can't even fit in a server with todays technology.
Yeah I've understood what you're trying to say...but what I'm saying is despite how much memory Windows will be able to account for...memory bandwidth still won't be able to handle that much memory without severely bottlenecking your system

Lemme put it this way...AMD64s have an average peak bandwidth of 6.4gb/sec...assuming you actually found some way to fill up 128GB of memory in order to get said data of your memory it's going to take you 128/6.4 = about 20 seconds to get something of your RAM...in all honesty it doesn't even take nearly that long to pull something off an FDD drive, your looking at severely slowing down your system for no good reason, understand?

Yes now you cleared that up. Thank you very much.

Would this interfer with my Motherboard if I choose to go with a Athlon 64 X2 Processor and This motherboard. The motherboard has onboard sound using the AC97 codec how would I "turn that off" and use this sound card he has given me?
Sound Card - Audigy2 Value
Audigy2 Link
AMD 64 X2 Mobo

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure you just leave the onboard sound stationary and just connect your speakers into the installed sound card.

Yea, if you aeren't crazy about sound, you can just use the onboard sound.

And AMD's factories are in Germany and the US, not China (as far as I know).

Tyler1989 said:
No you are not. I actually know about Vista in fact I know alot about it. Vista will utilise every drop of that ram trust me on that and as for sucking on games it is not going to It's feature to shut down uneeded resources. Vista even in it's current Beta form is outperforming Windows Server 2003 on the same hardware.
http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boards/cgi_directory/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=12;t=000001
Plsease don't talk when you don't know what you're talking about. And yes, it WILL use all that ram, because it's a resourse hog. A number of people over at HS have beta 2, and from a fresh install with nothing else installed, it eats over 500mb of RAM. All the features that would have made vista good were removed, such as WinFX and a number of other things I don't remember off the top of my head.

003 I will not argue this petty matter any more go to Microsoft then to to Pual Thurrott and then go out and use Vista yourself and see with your own two eyes instead of reading about it from links..

I'm using a Athlon 64 X2 Processor does this mean for an OS I must use Windows XP x64 and Vista x64 and cannot use the 32 bit counterparts.

Also is it true that since I"m going with AMD I cannot get DDR2 RAM and must go with DDR?

Can a SATAII motherboard connect to a SATAI harddrive? My motherboard supports four SATA2 slots the harddrive I want uses SATA1. Backwards compatable?

lol...the thing about AMD64s is that they're the most commercial 64 bit chips that are capable of running both 32 bit and 64 bit applications...if the AMD64 was strictly a 64 bit processor it'd be absolutely useless for 99% of the market and wouldn't be nearly as popular as it is...so yeah, all K8 processor will run either 64 or 32 bit applications

SATA is backwards compatible, and AMD does not support DDR2 but makes up for it with intergrating the memory controller into the core itself...this eliminates the FSB and northbridge and creates the hypertransport bus which communicates at 1GHz allowing memory bandwidth up to 6.4gb/sec

Basically the FSB on AMD64s is the speed of your actual core...meaning if you have a 2GHz core your FSB is effectively 2GHz...this why much slower DDR1 on AMD64 machines is able to compete with faster rated DDR2 on Intel platforms

In addition, due to latencies, DDR1 running at the same speed as DDR2 will operate faster therefore DDR1 is the better choice in the firstplace IMO, especially with the LDT bus to boast memory bandwidth

Thank you Gara you made some of my choices final then. Put you also pointed out my greatest mistake which I fixed.

I'll leave two links of for a processor one is the AMD 64 which can emulate 64 bit and the other is a AMD 64 X2 Duel Core. I'm almost positive you cannot run a 32 bit OS on this correct? But I also hear that once you get a 64 bit OS installed it will be backwards compatible with all 32bit software. I'm having doubts on fully dedicating myself to a Duel Core 64 bit world but whats your review on this?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103562

I'm using a Athlon 64 X2 Processor does this mean for an OS I must use Windows XP x64 and Vista x64 and cannot use the 32 bit counterparts.

I had to reject PCme's recommendation on a Optical Drive. I'm looking for a drive that will burn both CDs and DVDs I'm not looking for blazing fast speeds but I must be able to burn .ISO files from MSDN. That also leaves out a floppy drive it seems I'll be using a SataI/SATAII setup I'd like the floppy drive also to have a side slot for digitial cameria memory sticks like my old one which is making them hard to find.

Is this enough power for the PC?
http://www.mwave.com/mwave/review.hmx?scriteria=BA21827

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom