PC Buffs.....Need your input. - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 02-24-2006, 01:16 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 9
Default PC Buffs.....Need your input.

Posted in wrong board..........so you might see it again.

I know the basics about building a computer and I can be done. When it comes to the technical specs, I get kinda lost. Im still reading up on that stuff. But I have a quesiton for the PC nutz here.......Im trying to put together a powerful PC to basically play the games that are out now at TOP NOTCH SETTINGS.

I order this stuff lastnight from NEWEGG.com

Thermaltake Full Tower
Asus A8N-32 MoBo
AMD X2 3800+ Dual Core ( Plan on getting and FX later on down the road)
550w Powersupply
2 Gigs DDR 400 (ps3200) of unbuffered ram
eVGA 7800 GT 256mb Video Card (plan on getting a second for SLi when my wife lets me)
19' WideScreen LCD 8ms res 1400x900

Using my previous HD and DVD/CD burner for this...plan on getting a 74 gig WD Raptor HD and going RAID.

This is the main stuff you need for a PC, but then there the bells and whistle......like larger Heatsinks, Fans, Temp. displays, lights, etc. Don't need that stuff right now.....just want to be able to Play F.E.A.R, BF2, and Doom 3 and HIGHEST Settings.

So for all you PC Gamer buffs......

1. Am I going to get High setting in these games with still good FRAMERATES?
2. Anything cheap that will help the performance.
3. Something on the list that I should have gotten different, (which would cost about the same)
4. Any input would be helpful.....thx inadvance.
__________________

Dominazn is offline  
Old 02-24-2006, 01:20 AM   #2 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 1,241
Send a message via AIM to Powerslave
Default Re: PC Buffs.....Need your input.

Quote:
Originally posted by Dominazn
Posted in wrong board..........so you might see it again.

I know the basics about building a computer and I can be done. When it comes to the technical specs, I get kinda lost. Im still reading up on that stuff. But I have a quesiton for the PC nutz here.......Im trying to put together a powerful PC to basically play the games that are out now at TOP NOTCH SETTINGS.

I order this stuff lastnight from NEWEGG.com

Thermaltake Full Tower
Asus A8N-32 MoBo
AMD X2 3800+ Dual Core ( Plan on getting and FX later on down the road)
550w Powersupply
2 Gigs DDR 400 (ps3200) of unbuffered ram
eVGA 7800 GT 256mb Video Card (plan on getting a second for SLi when my wife lets me)
19' WideScreen LCD 8ms res 1400x900

Using my previous HD and DVD/CD burner for this...plan on getting a 74 gig WD Raptor HD and going RAID.

This is the main stuff you need for a PC, but then there the bells and whistle......like larger Heatsinks, Fans, Temp. displays, lights, etc. Don't need that stuff right now.....just want to be able to Play F.E.A.R, BF2, and Doom 3 and HIGHEST Settings.

So for all you PC Gamer buffs......

1. Am I going to get High setting in these games with still good FRAMERATES?
2. Anything cheap that will help the performance.
3. Something on the list that I should have gotten different, (which would cost about the same)
4. Any input would be helpful.....thx inadvance.
Sorry to be there bearer of bad news, but that won't play every game on top notch settings for these reasons, because you don't have a top notch system. Don't get me wrong, you will be able to have high settings, but not everything like AA and reselutions jacked up all high.
__________________

Powerslave is offline  
Old 02-24-2006, 01:22 AM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 9
Default

well maybe i shouldn't have used the word TOP NOTCH...lol....looking to have nice clean graphics with these things.

Im coming from console gaming and having a computer that doesn't even support PCI-E. And not having a computer that does support PCI-E ........would the different in this blow me away?
Dominazn is offline  
Old 02-24-2006, 01:26 AM   #4 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
 
boomstick666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 743
Default

i think BF2 runs fine w all settings to high. but not F.E.A.R. (nor cod2) even very very high end card still lags on that game. cuz its just poorly optimized game. but i think u should be able to play most of the games on medium to high settings. o and i wouldnt recommend getting FX or SLI'd...cuz its not worth it..more better products will be out in he future when ur comp is getting outdated. upgrading to new generation GPU is more likely recommended in the future when vista comes out or something...
__________________
i5 2500K @ 4.8GHz 1.384v - AsRock P67 Extreme4 B3 BIOS 1.90
G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3 PC12800 2x4GB @ 1866 9-10-9-28 1T 1.590v
EVGA GTX 570HD SC 930/1950 1.100v
Crucial M4 SSD 128GB - OCZ 700W PSU (4x18A) - Noctua NH-D14 (BM120mm x Noctua140mm)
Corsair 600T SE White - Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit SP1 - Mitsubishi DiamondPro2070sb (CRT!)

3DMark11 P7089 | 3DMark Vantage P26383
boomstick666 is offline  
Old 02-24-2006, 01:30 AM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 9
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by boomstick666
i think BF2 runs fine w all settings to high. but not F.E.A.R. (nor cod2) even very very high end card still lags on that game. cuz its just poorly optimized game. but i think u should be able to play most of the games on medium to high settings.
My brother built his own computer and had pretty good stuff....but missing one thing a..a video card.....so he pop in a NON-PCI-E FX 5600 256mb card.......then put BF2 to all the HIGH SETTINGS. I was really blowen away on nice it looked ingame.......but the framerate was so freaking slow.. I'm trying to get it to what i seen with good framerates......again i come from console gaming..........im just moved over to PC.
Dominazn is offline  
Old 02-24-2006, 01:47 AM   #6 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,327
Send a message via AIM to Flanker
Default

Are you guys kidding me? That'll easily run most games on there on the highest graphics possible with great framerates (expect 70FPS in Battlefield 2 on max graphics on 1280x1024). FEAR is one game that won't handle as easily (expect 25-ish FPS, and CoD2 should get 40-ish FPS. But note that these are on max, you can easily tone down the settings a north and get much better performance.

On a side note, don't get an FX series processor. Get a better heatsink (check out the Zalman CPU heatsinks on Newegg) and overclock your processor. You can expect 2.5GHz from your processor with decent cooling. That would make it equal a X2 4800+, roughly

Also, I think I like the designation "Computer Buff" much better than "Computer Geek" :classic:.

PS: With SLI, you'll be playing EVERY game at max with good framerates. Even FEAR.
Flanker is offline  
Old 02-24-2006, 01:47 AM   #7 (permalink)
Hard Gay Nahalem! Fooo!
 
NosBoost300's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Bellflower, CA
Posts: 10,154
Send a message via AIM to NosBoost300
Default Re: Re: PC Buffs.....Need your input.

well maybe he's not planning on playing on resolutions like 1600x1200.... if your running 1280x1024 you'll get by pretty close to full on some games, i think you could pull off 4xAA and 4xAniso in fear.. COD 2.. i wouldnt know, i havent played it yet.. and on 1024x768 you should pretty much own most games.. if my 6800gs can take on fear 2xAA 4xAniso with soft shadow and get 51 fps average... a 7800 gt can manhandle it
__________________
Current Build:
Intel 3770k @ 4.4 GHZ | Galaxy GTX 770 SLi | 16 GB G.Skill Sniper | ASrock z77 Extreme4
2xSamung 840pro 128GB in Raid | 2x1TB Seagate | Antec 750 Watt GamerSeries
Media Build:
Intel Core i3 3220 | Galaxy GTX 650 | 8 GB Corsair Vengeance | ASrock B75M | Samsung 840 120GB
NosBoost300 is offline  
Old 02-24-2006, 01:49 AM   #8 (permalink)
Newb Techie
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 9
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Flanker
Are you guys kidding me? That'll easily run most games on there on the highest graphics possible with great framerates (expect 70FPS in Battlefield 2 on max graphics on 1280x1024). FEAR is one game that won't handle as easily (expect 25-ish FPS, and CoD2 should get 40-ish FPS. But note that these are on max, you can easily tone down the settings a north and get much better performance.

On a side note, don't get an FX series processor. Get a better heatsink (check out the Zalman CPU heatsinks on Newegg) and overclock your processor. You can expect 2.5GHz from your processor with decent cooling. That would make it equal a X2 4800+, roughly

Also, I think I like the designation "Computer Buff" much better than "Computer Geek" :classic:.

PS: With SLI, you'll be playing EVERY game at max with good framerates. Even FEAR.
Thx for the info
Dominazn is offline  
Old 02-24-2006, 01:50 AM   #9 (permalink)
Newb Techie
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 9
Default Re: Re: Re: PC Buffs.....Need your input.

Quote:
Originally posted by NosBoost300
well maybe he's not planning on playing on resolutions like 1600x1200.... if your running 1280x1024 you'll get by pretty close to full on some games, i think you could pull off 4xAA and 4xAniso in fear.. COD 2.. i wouldnt know, i havent played it yet.. and on 1024x768 you should pretty much own most games.. if my 6800gs can take on fear 2xAA 4xAniso with soft shadow and get 51 fps average... a 7800 gt can manhandle it
again in new....but what is 2xAA and 4xAniso? and also i purchased a 19' Widescreen LCD 8ms with native 1400x900....was that a bad choice?
Dominazn is offline  
Old 02-24-2006, 01:54 AM   #10 (permalink)
Hard Gay Nahalem! Fooo!
 
NosBoost300's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Bellflower, CA
Posts: 10,154
Send a message via AIM to NosBoost300
Default

no its not a bad choice at all.. and AA=Anti-Aliasing.. and Anisotropic, they're both filters that smoothen things out... and really i don't notice a difference in graphics after 1280x1024... i think everything above that is just pointless... dramatically lowering your fps for something that looks hardly any different
__________________

__________________
Current Build:
Intel 3770k @ 4.4 GHZ | Galaxy GTX 770 SLi | 16 GB G.Skill Sniper | ASrock z77 Extreme4
2xSamung 840pro 128GB in Raid | 2x1TB Seagate | Antec 750 Watt GamerSeries
Media Build:
Intel Core i3 3220 | Galaxy GTX 650 | 8 GB Corsair Vengeance | ASrock B75M | Samsung 840 120GB
NosBoost300 is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.