Packard bell PSU!help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi there guys i have a problem...
i have been given a nvidia geforce xfx 9600 GT as a present to put into my packard bell imedia x2424, its compatible but i need to know if the Power supply is the right wattage for the card( 400-450 with 450 being recomended). i cannot find the wattage of my PSU anywhere! help is very much apreciated. thank you

for a 9600gt you wont require a lot of power at all, the reason nvidia states 450w is because most lower end psu's don't have much amperage on the 12v rails (which power GPU). On the sticker there will be a table with what looks like 12v written which the amperage (A) shown accordingly.

as this sticker shown from a corsair psu
CORSAIR-6.jpg

this model has a huge amount of 60A!, while you would only need about 18-20A on a single rail to power that card and the rest of your components. If you have more then one 12v rail in your psu they will have denotes of 1,2,3,4 for each rail. A good general psu would have dual 18A rails or 17A rails usually, although for you a single rail should suffice.

Hope this makes sense :p

Thanks for the fast response,
i will have a look but takeibng the cove off will void warrenty, im not that botherd so ile look, ile post the specs of the psu to see if you guys can make any sense of it, thanks again

Now im very angry, it seems because packard bell have splashed out on the cpu and the ram they suply a useless 250 watt psu! i opend it up and it says at the bottom, continuouse wattage should not exceed 250w.
its a fsp group psu s/n:
fsp250-60hen.
im only 15 and havent got much money to spare and need a decent psu.
what wattage would you reccomned for my system with the new graphics:
640 gb wd hardrive
4GB ram
intel quad core 2,4ghz per core.
built in graphics :(
and a Denver 10 Motherboard
again help is very much apreciated, thank you

At least it's a good brand. I still have an FSP PSU from a - you guessed it Packard bell pentium 4. Right now it is powering my p3 firewall 24/7 and is doing a very good job. 250W is not enough for that PC + 9600GT though. The corsair cx400 is a good deal last I checked.

Thanks, i cant seem to find that model but ive found some psu's for like £30 on ebuyer. doubt their any good but ile have to keep searching

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom