P5B reccomended memory?

Status
Not open for further replies.

beccabob

Solid State Member
ok. building my very first gaming pc. have decided on P5B mobo/E6400/ with 2 gb of ram. plan on 2 gb of ram, hopefully dual channel? a little confused in this area. the only part of my first build that scares me is the bios stuff. thought i'd skip this by using sysbuilder.com and buy a tested bios updated, etc system. sysbuilder offers either apacer or crucial ram. i visited the asus websight and NEITHER of these are reccomended venders (hiper only) and even hiper doesnt show dual channel support for dual channel. am i looking at this wrong? plz help! thanks in advance for any and all help :)
also will be getting the eVGA 8800GTS 320 mb graphics card. budget going fast so can anyone reccomend the perfect case and psu? think budget but quality too. have been tossing around the likes of the cheaper lian li's, antec 900 or solo, and the cooler master cenrurian series. thanks again

With the RAM, buy 2 1GB DDR2 800 sticks. Then place them in the case in DIMM 1 and DIMM 3 and they will be dual channeled :)

Depends what you mean by perfect. With that video card you need to make sure you have proper airflow, so you want something with stock 120mm fans in it (stock to keep budget down). Something like the http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16811147038 would create nice airflow. As for the psu, look for about a 500W in brands lke Fortron, Antec, Sparkle, Enermax, PC Power & Cooling.

For a case the Cooler Master centurion are awesome cases for the price, so are the Xion Xon's.

There is never a "perfect" case and stuff you just have to go with one that will work good.

That Rosewill case should be good enough in terms of cooling but it probably won't be the most sturdy. Who knows though Rosewill parts are usually excellent quality for the money though.

As for recommended memory, I think the Asus compatibility list is way too limited. My Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800 is not in list yet it works flawlessly with the board.

The easiest way to see if a given memory module will work is to search reviews of it. For instance, expand the Newegg user reviews and search "P5B". Most often than not you'll find someone who can comment on its compatibility.

Yea I know that G.Skill DDR2-800 will work with a P5B Deluxe and this is pretty much the best memory for the money.

Indeed it is. I'm planning on buying a pair myself, since I currently only have 2x512MB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom