P35 & PCI-e 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brtnboarder495

Daemon Poster
PCI-e 2.0 is fully supported by P35, right? I couldn't remember and couldn't find a straight up answer anywhere. I know that DDR3 isn't, and is supported on X38, but I couldn't remember anything about PCI-e 2.0.

Thanks!

DDR3 can be supported on the P35. The Asus P5K3 deluxe uses DDR3. Currently the only chipset supporting PCI-e 2.0 are the x38 boards.

PCi-e 2.0 is backwards compatible... you can use a 2.0 on a non 2.0 board... and vice-versa... but if your asking if the p35 chipsets are directly PCi-e 2.0... then its a no..

It has already been proven that the new cards dont use up the full pcie 1.1 bandwidth.
p35 = pcie 1.1
x38 = pcie 2.0

It takes the PCI-express x16 standard (effectively PCI-e 1.0), and doubels the bandwidth from 2.5GT/s to 5.0GT/s. Whether or not that will significantly increase the performance of a single card depending on the motherboard, is what I'd like to know.

My *guess* would be that this is just paving the way for PCI-e 2.0, and that this card won't benefit from having a PCI-e 2.0 compliant motherboard. I hope so at least .. I'm in no mood to spend a lot more cash on a X38 when the reviews have shown little to no performance gains.

eitherway almost all the benchies have been done on pcie 1.1 boards, and the gt still puts the competition to shame.

So, I wouldn't worry too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom