Overclocking My i7 / P6T / OCZ ddr3

Status
Not open for further replies.

aldernon

Baseband Member
I have an i7 920, 6 gigs of ocz ddr3 1600, an asus P6T mobo and a great corsair psu (wont crap out on me)

Im using stock cooling right now, but im comfortable with a little warmth. I want a nice stable over clock of about 3.4+ I think my ram isnt running at 1600mhz stock, ive run cpu-z and it says its only running at 600mhz... Thats silly tbh.

Can anyone out there give me some solid settings i can punch in that will give me what i want?

Well, there arent really any solid settings, as all CPUs are different. Some will need more voltage than others, its just the way it goes. 3.4 might be a bit much for stock cooling. I have my i7 at 3.8Ghz and it still gets up to 78C in Intel Burn Test, and thats with a TRUE with 2 fans and very good case cooling.

This is reasonable guide to i7 OCing on the P6T:

Core i7 4Ghz Club & Overclocking Guide - PureOverclock Forums

Although i would NOT try for 4Ghz. i7s can overclock well, but they create alot of heat. Download Real Temp or Core Temp to monitor your temps and make sure the max doesnt go over about 85C. 100C is where damage can happen.

For voltages just remember you will want to increase the CPU voltage and the QPI voltage, i wouldnt suggest going over about 1.3 on stock cooling. Also increase the CPU PLL voltage a bit to help it. Turn off things you dont need also, and there are a few settings on the P6T that are supposed to help such as CPU Differential Amplitude.

The best thing is to gradually increase the clocks and voltage as you need it, then run Intel Burn Test, checking its stable and of course always checking your temps.

You can probably expect a safe 3.2 overclock with stock cooling. That will pretty much be the limit unless you want your cpu running at like 55c idle which is pretty high. I personally wouldn't want it going past 65-70c on load. I've heard of it staying stable up around 75c but I wouldn't want my cpu running that hot.

About your ram, it is not running at 600mhz. that is the base clock speed its running at then you have to multiply that by 3 i think it is for ddr3, or maybe its 2, i can never remember. Someone else will know. I can assure you its not running at 600mhz though.

Like meat_helmet said, there aren't any solid settings you can just punch in and its good to go. Start by upping the bclck in incriments of 5 and running intel burn test every time and see if its stable and at good temps. When it is no longer stable, bump up the voltage a notch and try again. Like said, I would not recommend going over 1.3v on stock. You shouldn't even need that much. I run mine @ 4.1 with a little over 1.3v so I would say you will most likely be fine with 1.25-6 vcore.

When it is no longer stable, bump up the voltage a notch and try again. Like said, I would not recommend going over 1.3v on stock. You shouldn't even need that much. I run mine @ 4.1 with a little over 1.3v so I would say you will most likely be fine with 1.25-6 vcore.

Hmmm, your lucky. I need 1.36 to run a stable 3.8Ghz... Might try and swap one for the new D0 stepping ones when they come out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom