Is this an overclocking machine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
When you install the memory into your system, one of two things will happen; 1.) The memory will set it's speed to match that of the FSB. Seeing as the FSB's base speed is 266Mhz, the memory would be running at DDR2-533 (actual 266Mhz). In this situation, as you raise the FSB, the memory speed will also raise with it. If that does not happen, then the memory will set a divider for itself, and run at DDR2-800 (400Mhz actual) even on a 266Mhz FSB. To overclock, you will have to change the memory:FSB ratio to make the memory run at the same speed as the FSB. If you don't do this, then you will be raising the speed of the memory far beyond what its rated to run it while you raise the FSB.

Read the guide I linked earlier.

Yes ran memtest86 from the BIOS feature that had it. I know its very insane...i was shocked..completly shocked to see it reach that high. I had to send G.Skill an e-mail of amazing just to ask them how the **** a cheap 115 chip reached those high and that I was very glad I bought their products. That was like 3 days ago and no reply lol.

Also to make you understand. When you overclock most people shoot for a 1:1 ratio on the FSB:RAM. Meaning you run both at the same mhz in power. While a 4:5 ratio is sometimes used or even less. This is due to the CPU being only able to overclock as high as the RAM can go. Stock an E6300 is 266mhz 266x7 thus making 1.86.

If you were to never overclock DDR2-533 RAM would suffice. BUT since the C2D can overclock so high, you need alot better ram than 533mhz or even 677mhz to overclock high enough.

So lets say you bought value ram of DDR2-800 and it never overclocked 1 mhz. Your E6300 would be limited to a max of 400mhz making a total speed of 2.8ghz, which is decent.

Although if your ram can reach higher you can go higher. Most ram that isnt value can be at least OC'd to around 450mhz making around 3.15ghz. While some OC MUCH MUCH higher.

What I did was take my ram which actully runs at 4-4-4-12 on stock volts at DDR2-800 (weird I know) take the volts from 1.8 to 2.15 which enables me to run it around 490mhz at Cas 4. Since I cant get higher than that I run 457 at 4-4-4-10.

Thank you very much for all your help, ill keep all this info handy. I read that whole OCing guide and am VERY much more informed and comfortable about OCing. I am not sure (since that was 1/19/2004) if the methods used for OCing are the same with core 2 duo as the basic processors 3 years ago, but I understand it much much more :)

Thanks for your help and in about 2 weeks after i get my next paycheck i should have this puppy built and ill keep in touch :)

*one question i do have from that guide is that ram speed being higher than FSB is pointless and that you wanna keep them like the same ratio by OCing the ram and say if you have 200MHz x 10 = 2000MHz and you change the FSB/multiplier (if you can) to 250MHZ x 8 = 2000MHZ you dont want your memory (ddr400) running lower than the fsb so you OC it to 250mhz and increasing the V so it can support it.

I know a lot has changed but how come you have a 2:3 ratio instead of a 1:1 ratio?

As you raise the FSB, the RAM will overclock itself according to whatever ratio has been set. If its a 1:1 ratio, then the memory will go up with the FSB, as you raise it to 250Mhz. Running memory higher than the FSB isn't pointless in any way. There is a performance hit taken on Intel systems while not running 1:1, but tests have proven this performance hit to be very minimal. If you can run the RAM faster than the FSB, with the RAM supporting the faster speed and the FSB unable to go any farther, then you should do so.

Yes, the guide IS quite old, but the intent was to just explain the basics of overclocking to you. Now, you may simply Google for a Core 2 Duo overclocking guide and you should understand it much better than you would if you hadn't read the guide.

She had a 2:3 ratio because she wanted to see how far her memory would go, when everything else in the system was taken out of the equation. If she hadn't, then she would probably have hit a FSB limit with the processor maxing out or something.

The one last question I have (and i swear ill stop being annoying >< ) is since the ram in the build runs at 400MHz and this processors supposedly can easily get to 450MHz x 7 = 3150Mhz, that means that IF i did the 1:1 the 400MHz ram would auto increase to 450MHZ correct? but my question is how far can ram OC? I mean if i did 2:3 Ratio than the ram would be at 675MHz is that like wayy too much or is that what it is suppose to be? that is what is confusing me about the ram OCing like is that the situation where you would do 1:1

Like I mentioned before, your RAM may automatically be set to 400Mhz, or it may be set to 266Mhz. If its set to 400Mhz, then you will need to set it to 266Mhz before you start overclocking, or else the RAM will go over it's rated speed.

If you set the RAM to 266Mhz before overclocking, then yes, the RAM will go up to 450Mhz as you raise the FSB to 450Mhz. This is assuming a 1:1 ratio. If you did a 2:3 ratio, then the RAM would be running at 300Mhz, while the FSB runs at 450Mhz (you did the calculation the other way around). Remember, the RAM is rated to run at 400Mhz (DDR2-800), so you will want to stay at, or under, that speed. You CAN overclock the RAM by loosening the timings and raising the voltage a little bit, that should give you more speed if you RAM can't handle where it's at.

When do you do 1:1? You try to do it all the time. But if the FSB is too high, and your RAM cannot keep up with the FSB on a 1:1 ratio, then you set a lower memory divider like 2:3 or something that will lower the speed of the RAM while letting you keep the high FSB and thus high CPU speed.

^ That explanation needs an explanation. Do you think that Intel's supply fell for some reason, while the demand for the processors rose for some reason?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom