Overclocking geforce 8 series?

Status
Not open for further replies.
To go to 2.7GHz, you shouldn't need to touch the CPU voltage, until around the 3GHz range.

jeeze... that is amazing... do they think they would cover volt mod deaths too? there won't be any physical burning... (i hope?) I guess I'll call and confirm that myself, jeeze that is quite amazing... EVGA wins my vote twice now

you might want to check on that but i suppose its possible as long as its not physically changed when they get it back. EVGA rocks!

Since this thread is based on overclocking I should post here:

Hi all,

I need some help regarding overclocking my GTX I try using Rivatuner but for some reason when I change the GPU & memory clock and check on them in the hardware monitor section it only shows the Memory overclocked & the GPU is still at 576 even though I raise the GPU to 600. I try using nTune but the samething happen it only overclock the memory and not the GPU what I'm doing wrong?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you

---Phanto

Your card is running in 2D mode when you are checking those clocks to save power. The core clock will bump up when you open a 3D app. You're not doing anything wrong. I would recommend using ATITool because it has a 3D view built in so your card will actually be working and heating up when you overclock it. You might get more stable overclocks that way because it will be testing those clocks at operating temps.

Your card is running in 2D mode when you are checking those clocks to save power. The core clock will bump up when you open a 3D app. You're not doing anything wrong. I would recommend using ATITool because it has a 3D view built in so your card will actually be working and heating up when you overclock it. You might get more stable overclocks that way because it will be testing those clocks at operating temps.

That should explain why I saw 2 times the Core clock raising to 600MHz and I think I saw the shader clock raising as well for a short time, but the memory don't raise like the clock and shader it just stand still, anyway thanks for you help.

what about just OCing to 2.7 ghz so i dont have to touch any of the CPU voltage? Also are you sure you increase teh PCI-E voltage? Ive never heard of that before

Listen to b1gapl, I overclocked my g0 q6600 to 3.0GHz without touching any voltages. I simply adjusted the FSB from 266 to 334 and viola, 3.0GHz! But if you have trouble booting at 3.0GHz or it isn't stable, you can step it down to 2.9 or 2.8 so you don't have to mess with the voltages. I had to up my volts a tad so that I can run 3.4GHz stable.

Also, my temps are apparently crazy low for air cooling (considering my load temps never going above 52C) so this might be a different case for me. Just, like I said, go ahead and shoot for 3.0GHz stock, and if it doesn't work out start taking it down .1GHz at a time.

I'm oblivious to GPU overclocking. I ran coolbits a while back for my current 7800GT to OC it a bit, not a huge difference. But I plan to buy either an 8800GTX or Ultra in November so I'd like to know more as well.

That should explain why I saw 2 times the Core clock raising to 600MHz and I think I saw the shader clock raising as well for a short time, but the memory don't raise like the clock and shader it just stand still, anyway thanks for you help.

Ya the memory clock is always constant. I don't know the technical reason why, it just is. I would try and push your GTX further if temps allow it. I had to put an 80mm fan over my bottom expansion slots to exhaust all the hot air that the card dumps out right underneath itself. That dropped my temps by about 10C all around.

Listen to b1gapl, I overclocked my g0 q6600 to 3.0GHz without touching any voltages. I simply adjusted the FSB from 266 to 334 and viola, 3.0GHz! But if you have trouble booting at 3.0GHz or it isn't stable, you can step it down to 2.9 or 2.8 so you don't have to mess with the voltages. I had to up my volts a tad so that I can run 3.4GHz stable.

Also, my temps are apparently crazy low for air cooling (considering my load temps never going above 52C) so this might be a different case for me. Just, like I said, go ahead and shoot for 3.0GHz stock, and if it doesn't work out start taking it down .1GHz at a time.

I'm oblivious to GPU overclocking. I ran coolbits a while back for my current 7800GT to OC it a bit, not a huge difference. But I plan to buy either an 8800GTX or Ultra in November so I'd like to know more as well.

Just change the FSB from 266 to 334? Its that easy with the Gigabyte P35 DS3R? Whats the thing called that you changed ( also did you have to use the F1 + ctrl secret menu thing? ) Detailed instructions please :p

Ya the memory clock is always constant. I don't know the technical reason why, it just is. I would try and push your GTX further if temps allow it. I had to put an 80mm fan over my bottom expansion slots to exhaust all the hot air that the card dumps out right underneath itself. That dropped my temps by about 10C all around.

Maybe I will have to do something like that to get out that hot air later but for now I'm planning to do some moderate overclocking something like 600/930 from 576/900, I can't overclock really high because of ambient temps there is no air conditioner 24/7 here, only at night.

Just change the FSB from 266 to 334? Its that easy with the Gigabyte P35 DS3R? Whats the thing called that you changed ( also did you have to use the F1 + ctrl secret menu thing? ) Detailed instructions please :p

Basically, you take the FSB (Front Side Bus) and multiply it by the (dun-dun-dun) multiplier which is 9 at default.

For example, the stock setup is 244 x 9 = 2394MHz or 2.4GHz (yay rounding!).

So, if you want 3.0GHz (3000MHz) you divide it by the multiplier. Your multiplier is 9 so you get 333.33 repeating. I just like to round up so I did 334, it's all the same really.

If my memory serves me correctly, you just do the following:
Boot into BIOS
Go down to M.I.T.
Then set the overclock to Manual.
Change the FSB of 266 to 334.
Push F10 to Exit & Save Changes.
System should reboot and viola, you're overclocked.

Unless you have the LOGO screen disabled, you won't know it. But if you do disable it (under Advanced BIOS) this mobo actually shows you the math for the CPU. So before you even boot into windows you can verify that it's overclocked. It will read at the top of the screen something like Q6600 334x9=3.0GHz

*Also, you should disable C1E and EIST feature in the Advanced BIOS (along with the POST logo if you like, same section). This forces the overclock to be maintained at all times. Those features were released by intel to help conserved power consumption. So if you aren't completely utilizing your PC it could drop the multiplier to 6 rendering your FSB of 334 useless because then you're running 2.0GHz.

Oh, and the Ctrl+F1 thing you speak of is really only needed for tweaking RAM timings. It gives a few other advanced options, but that's the main thing is enables you to do in the BIOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom