Overclockability

Status
Not open for further replies.

synth7

In Runtime
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Socket 939 (1.8GHz - 200Mhz @ 9x)
Mobo: MSI K8T Neo2-F (MS-6702E)
RAM: 2x512 (1GB) Corsair XMS PC3200 (400Mhz) Dual Channel
Video: eVGA Geforce 6800 GS AGP 8x (unlocked extra 4 pipelines and 1 vertex shader without artifacts)

I know (or someone one said) that overclocking the CPU FSB also tries to speed up the other components (RAM, video card) to try and keep up. Do you think my system can overclock the CPU to somewhere around 223Mhz or so, to get me past 2GHz?

Any help is appreciated.

I have one at 2.4. You should be fine. The new AMD processors have integrated memory controllers and the FSB is eliminated. You shouldn't be changing any frequencies other than your processor/ram.

Ryan

Even with a Winchester core? I've seen a high overclock of this chip too, but that was Venice.

Any guesses as to how far I should push it? Anything specific I should know about Winchester? I can just go into the BIOS and clock the FSB at 223MHz, unless you guys recommend I make any other changes too.

I assume Prime95 works for seeing if an oc is stable.

you should ease the HTT up, don't just make a leap like that. Up it by 5mhz each time. When it becomes unstable, up the voltage a hair and then see how high you can take the HTT from there.

Ryan

My BIOS has 'HT Frequency' (default 1000MHz) and 'FSB Frequency' (default 200MHz). Googling found a screenshot on my BIOS's Cell Menu, which is where all the good settings are. I won't proceed until I'm more clear on what you meant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom