[Overclock] New i7 Build Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mnelson07

In Runtime
Hey guys, I haven't been around here since my last build over a year and a half ago. I still love this PC, but I figured a great excuse for me to get a new one is to give this to my girlfriend :D

I plan to overclock again and it looks like the i7's are great for it. The only things I won't need will be:
- Hard drives (I've got a WD 150GB Raptor & 750 + 250 GB HDD's for storage)
- Sound card (Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer)
- Keyboard/Mouse/Monitors
- PSU * I'm not actually sure if I'll need one or not. I have a Silverstone 750W, it should be OK but let me know if you think otherwise.

I'm hoping to stay under $1,500; so, here is what I'm thinking so far:

Motherboard:
ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 - $269.99
Newegg.com - ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

Processor:
Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz - $279.99
Newegg.com - Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

Heatsink:
Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme Skt 775 - $56.99
Petra's Tech Shop
Bolt for i7: $9.99
Petra's Tech Shop
Fan $9.99
Scythe "ULTRA KAZE" 120mm
Newegg.com - Scythe DFS123812-3000 "ULTRA KAZE" 120 x 38 mm Case Fan - Case Fans

Video Card:
EVGA GTX285 - $349.99
Newegg.com - EVGA 01G-P3-1180-AR GeForce GTX 285 1GB 512-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

RAM:
CORSAIR DOMINATOR 6GB - $166.00
Newegg.com - CORSAIR DOMINATOR 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

Total: $1,142.94

I'm open to suggestions on a good case that is sleek and will keep all of this fairly cool. I'd like it to be quiet, but quiet and cooling don't tend to mix. I know it's a personal choice but I'd still appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks for your help guys!

Looks pretty good.

I would switch to this ram though
Newegg.com - OCZ Platinum 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

Heres a good case. Expensive but cool n' quiet.

Newegg.com - LIAN LI PC-P80 Black Aluminum ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

Pretty much any lian-li will do you well for what you want. If you don't like this or its too expensive, I would definitely recommend you look at other lian-li's. A lot of the higher end models have sound padding on the door

those corsair sticks are sick if you can afford them i would get them over the ocz. they will o/c far.

haha i love that processor, i7 rocks.....i've been thinking about selling my c0 and upgrading to the d0 for overclock reasons...

If you plan to overclock you will need a nice heatsink.
Newegg.com - Sunbeam CR-CCTF 120 mm Core-Contact Freezer CPU Cooler W/TX-2 - CPU Fans & Heatsinks
with the i7 adapter plate.
Newegg.com - Sunbeam CR-LGA1366 LGA 1366 Core I7 Retention Bracket - CPU Fans & Heatsinks

or if you want to go for a true 120.
Petra's Tech Shop
with the i7 adapter plate.
Petra's Tech Shop
and any 1 or 2 120 fans of your choice you can go for more quiet ones or ones that will cool better.

I do really like the TRUE-120 I have on my current system. Even OC'd to 3.4GHz it kept the processor at a 32 Celsius idle. I think even on load it didn't go above 45-50 Celsius. Then again, the 900 has a lot of fans to keep the airflow going too.

Thanks for the links/suggestions!

haha i love that processor, i7 rocks.....i've been thinking about selling my c0 and upgrading to the d0 for overclock reasons...

Is that kind of like the g0 for the Q6600 back in the day? Is it safe to say I'd get the d0 stepping (aka it's been out long enough) from NewEgg? Or should I got to a Fry's like 30-45 mins away in Dallas to make sure I get the right stepping for a better OC?

i have almost your new build already just build and can tell you its a great rig. I have stock cooling on my 920 at the moment because I figure my speed is diminished most by my outdated 7200rpm hdd. instead of cooling my processor (without a better heatsink) and improving performance, I'm saving for a SSD or two in raid!

i have almost your new build already just build and can tell you its a great rig. I have stock cooling on my 920 at the moment because I figure my speed is diminished most by my outdated 7200rpm hdd. instead of cooling my processor (without a better heatsink) and improving performance, I'm saving for a SSD or two in raid!

Just a point of clarification... 7200rpm HDDs aren't outdated whatsoever. Your HDD might be old and slower than the newer ones but new 7200rpm drives are very fast, some are even faster than the original 10k rpm raptors.

Just a point of clarification... 7200rpm HDDs aren't outdated whatsoever. Your HDD might be old and slower than the newer ones but new 7200rpm drives are very fast, some are even faster than the original 10k rpm raptors.

Correct. It is better to buy a 7200RPM since they are still fast and cheap with lots of space unless you want to boot faster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom