Out with the old, in with the new! BUILD LOG

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfenwick

Fully Optimized
So it's been a while, I was planning a full re-build soon but due to a couple of car deaths in the family the bank roll has shrunk considerable. Actually, it was only that the insurance company paid out generously that this is happening at all.

Some of you may remember my antec 1200 from my dedicated folding rig:

http://www.techist.com/forums/f10/antec-1200-quad-gpu-folding-rig-205020/

The arrival of the smart meters meant the death of that guy. I pieced it out but just couldn't bear to part with the case. Figured this is a perfect opportunity for it's return while I slowly prep my TJ07 for a paint job and water cooling job this summer.

Picked up piece numero uno today:

mobo.jpg

and popped it into the case to see how it fits:

case.jpg

I marked off where the wiring is going to go, I'm going to try and put as much as possible behind the mobo. Future plans include new RAM/CPU/GPU! Woohoo!

P.S. I know that a 2600k upgrade is nothing special right now but demmit, I'm excited so I'm doing a build log!

You know, a 2600k can oc to make 50k ppd eh....

Hurry and build **** it~!

Lol, yeah, but my OC skills aren't at that point, I'll be happy with 40k if I can get it.

Anyways, things didn't go so smoothly today. I swiped the AX850 out of my current rig to put into this one but as I took it out I heard a rattling. I figured at first it was just a screw or something but I quickly realized it was much bigger than that. After poking through the fan grill with a screw driver I found what looks like a heat sink that had come loose and was flopping around. Time to decide....send it back or:

warranty.jpg

Yup, so much for that warranty. I want this build moving forward, no way I'm waiting around for a warranty return. Here is what I found loose rattling around:

sink.jpg

You can see where it came loose from, there are two more of them to the right and the empty slot where this one fits in:

slot.jpg

Under the board you can see that either the solder didn't take or it never happened to begin with, the one of the right is the slot for this guy and the one on the left is what it should loook like.

hole.jpg

Anyways, I'm going to try a little hot glue to see if that holds it in place, if not, I'll have to give my weak soldering skills a test. So far I'm not impressed with this PSU, I expect a lot more for the $$$ I dropped on this guy.

wow, wtf corsair?

Lol, yeah, but my OC skills aren't at that point, I'll be happy with 40k if I can get it.

that's one of the good (or bad, depends on which way you see it) things about SB OCing. the only settings you should only really need to change are multiplier and a bit of voltage adjustment and... that's basically it :p

wow, wtf corsair?
My sentiments exactly, not impressed considering this a $200 performance line PSU. I'm just glad I noticed it and didn't have it work loose and fall into/jam the fan when I wasn't around. Could have burnt out the entire thing.

that's one of the good (or bad, depends on which way you see it) things about SB OCing. the only settings you should only really need to change are multiplier and a bit of voltage adjustment and... that's basically it :p

Yeah, we'll see if my TRUE can handle the heat.

edit: Bah, forgot to post the pic. Here is the after shot, not that pretty but it's holding in place.

glue.jpg

Why do I suspect that you should have soldered that instead of using hot glue? Those are meant to take as much heat away from the solder and transistors near by as quickly as possible. There is a chance that hot glue wont be there for long, atleast, not holding that into place.

Why do I suspect that you should have soldered that instead of using hot glue? Those are meant to take as much heat away from the solder and transistors near by as quickly as possible. There is a chance that hot glue wont be there for long, atleast, not holding that into place.

You're probably right, but I'm not too worried about it. Both cases (TJ09 an 1200) I plan to have house this psu are bottom mounted psu's, unlike the temporary m9 case I had it in these past few weeks. The sink came loose when it was top mounted, with it hanging downwards gravity eventually lodged it free and it fell. Bottom mounted, gravity will be working to keep it in place so the glue is more of an extra precaution than anything. It would probably be fine if I just wedged it back into that hole.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom