Which OS should I get?

Status
Not open for further replies.
64 bit's main selling point is the ability to use 64 bit apps (which are quite rare for xp) and use more then 4gb of ram (which is only needed for CAD or servers whilst using xp). With vista the 64bit is more necessary as Vista reserves 40% of your memory for preloading apps so that it runs faster so with vista having 4gb is not over the top for gaming use

So for gaming...

in xp just stick with 32 bit...

and vista... ??? i'm not sure i get your reply post haha.. can you re explain in terms of gaming comps! thanks!

sorry erm with vista basically get as much ram as you can afford but bear in mind that in benches going from 4gb to 8gb of ram had no real effect upon performance. here is my ram chart
32bit
128-256mb = xp very basic low performance
512mb = xp standard general use
1gb = xp light gaming / vista general use
2gb = xp gaming / vista moderate gaming
3gb = xp media editing / Vista (media editing / heavy gaming)
64 bit
4gb = xp CAD (computer aided design) / vista optimum
8gb+ = server

2gb is still all that is needed, u dont really need more than that unless using it for uses other than gaming like video editting

the 64bit and x64 are truly different operating systems. The 64bit is a dedicated 64 bit operating system that requires a 64bit processor whilst x64 means that if you have a 64bit processor you can take advantage of 64bit apps, but a 64bit processor is not necessary. As for Vista, I just don't like it yet. XP is tried and true while Vista is still struggling to get hardware support for things like SLI. I am going to wait until atleast 1 service pack comes out for Vista before i consider upgrading, but thats just me.

So for like photoshop and some extremely mild gaming, would it make sense to go with XP 64? Also, are there any compatability issues for XP 64 (like there are for Vista)? In other words, what's the downside of going with XP 64? And if XP 64 is better, which should I go with (64bit or x64)?

Don't confuse the 64-bit and x64 editions. 64-bit was designed for Itanium server computers, I believe. And I think it's not supported anymore. x64 is the 64-bit version of the 32-bit XP. Go with 32-bit XP, if you're just using photoshop and mild gaming. x64 has a lack of drivers.

yeah just go for the 32 bit xp its really all you need for what you wanna do and there isn't potential for driver problems or anything like that

Get XP pro 32 bit, i had vista installed for 2 days until i realised my sound wouldnt work properly and my webcam wouldnt install.
I wont be installing vista agian until they sort the issues out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom