OS And installing components - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 09:17 AM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie

Default OS And installing components

Okay so I'm just about ready to begin installing my drivers and such. I am about to order this

Buy cheap discount Microsoft Windows XP Pro SP1 OEM Full Version

I got a friend who does a ton of networking for a business and he uses this company a lot and said for what I'm doing this OS should be fine.

I also have a side question... I do not have any internet hookups yet on this computer, is there a decent simple wireless card you guys can suggest that I can install in one fo the regular PCI slots? Most networks I run on are wireless.

Anyway, once I get a copy of windows here I'm taking the tower up to my friend's office and he will let me use a monitor and keyboard (they have tons of parts like this) and help me install everything.

I have the Antec 900 case, ABIT IP35-E board, two sticks of ballistix ram 2X1GB, the MSI 8800GTS G92 card, a seagate 160 GB HD, Lite on DVD burner, and intel Q6600 processor, and what will be XP Pro.

What order should I install all these components? I remember reading somewhere for windows to go on smoothly I want to install everything else before that, is this true?

Any info will be appreciated, thanks much in advance!

Old 05-14-2008, 10:22 AM   #2 (permalink)
True Techie

Default Re: OS And installing components

Just connect all your components, wire them all up, power it on and install your OS. Then download SP2 and all windows updates after you get an internet connection.

A wireless card like one of these should be fine.
Newegg.com - LINKSYS WMP54G IEEE 802.11b/g, PCI 2.2 and 2.3 32bit PCI2.2 Wireless-G Adapter Up to 54Mbps Data Rates WEP, WPA, CCX 2.0 - Wireless Adapters

Newegg.com - D-Link WDA-1320 IEEE 802.11b/g 32-bit PCI Wireless G Desktop Adapter Up to 54Mbps Data Rates 64/128-bit WEP Wi-Fi Protected Access (WPA) - Wireless Adapters

Old 05-14-2008, 12:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
True Techie

Sounds simple enough. So I don't have to install drivers for the video card and such?

I looked at those two and I think i'll go with linksys, thanks!!
Old 05-14-2008, 04:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
True Techie

Yes, you'll need to install drivers for the video card either with what software came with the card or go to MSI's site after you have an internet connection to get the most current driver for your card.
Old 05-14-2008, 04:32 PM   #5 (permalink)
Private Joker

Keep the motherboard out of the case, and install the CPU and Heatsink & fan. Trust me, it's a lot easier than doing it while the board is in the case (especially in the Antec 900). Also, are you going to get an aftermarket CPU cooler? I'd suggest one, since you're going with a Q6600. After you get the CPU/HS&F in, screw down the mobo in the case (replace the I/O shield thats on the antec 900 with the one that comes with the motherboard first, though). Put the PSU in, expansion cards, and you can do the HDD's / ODD's last since you can remove the front bays on the 900. Hook everything up, and you should be ready to go =). Just make sure you double check (even triple check) you got everything plugged in, so you're not worrying over why something won't work (did this on my last build; turned out i had the F_PANEL hookups wrong, lol, so the front powerswitch wouldn't work).

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
Old 05-14-2008, 05:35 PM   #6 (permalink)
True Techie

It's already all physically assembled, i'm just confirming the sequence to install everything. Should I do the OS first, then all the subsequent drivers? Or the reverse?

EDIT:

because I heard some problems with the abit board I have that if you do windows first then the other drivers don't like going on or the sound doesnt work or something...
Old 05-14-2008, 11:12 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via AIM to Luke Send a message via MSN to Luke

lol no, install the os first then the other drivers. Considering that you would't be able to install any drivers without the os it is you only choice.

Server: Core i7 920 | 8GB RAM | Intel 240gb 730 SSD Boot | 3 x 2TB WD RED | Fractal R4
Closed Thread