Ordering C2D setup..

Status
Not open for further replies.

PanzerKammander

TeH ViZarD
Alright, Ill be ordering my C2D within the next few days, (probably monday).

Im thinking about overclocking an e6400 instead of buying an e6600.. I dont know really anything about oc'ing processors, but meh.. Ill figure it out. So then.. Im gonna get an E6600 C2D. Its either that or spend 100 bucks more on a E6600.. I dunno yet.

Anyway..

Mobo is going to be the Asus PB5-E... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131070

And

Ram will be OCZ 2x1gb DDR2 800Mhz

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820227124

Unless there is anything better for less?

Any other suggestions?

Oh, I also need a new CD/DVD/BURNER combo driver..

Thanks, that drive looks perfect.. black bezel too.. match right up with my lian li case. :)

You think I should get a Zalman HSF while they are on sale at newegg? Keep things a bit cooler. ;)

I'll just give you a warning beforehand, because I had the same problem with my P5B-E and DDR2-800 memory.

If you get a certain revision of the board, the memory will try to boot at 1.8V standard, which would probably mean that your OCZ memory wouldn't boot with that board unless you were to take 1.8V rated memory and changed the voltage to 2.0 in the BIOS. I had to let the store I bought it from flash my BIOS before sending it to me. If you are going to order both of those parts at newegg (or your entire system in fact) see if they can check for you if the parts boot well together. Consider the quote below;

I just set the same board up yesterday and had the same problem. Initially it booted fine with the original bios so I updated the board to the latest bios and then nada, dead as a door nail same as yours. I found out it's a ram issue (I'm using OCZ Platinum) and an unbelievably stupid bios setting on the part of Asus I might add. Here is what got me back in the game:

1. Make sure you have a speaker connected to the MB so you can hear the beeps.
2. Remove all the ram and start up the system. If you hear error beeps then good, the motherboard is probably working fine. If no beeps then you have other problems that I can't help you with.
3. Try a single stick of your ram in the slot furthest from the cpu and see if that works.
4. If it does work then go into the bios settings and take the mem voltage from "auto" to 2.0 volts. Then your ram should all work again normally.
5. If it doesn't fire up with your single stick of ram then you have the same issue as my OCZ and you will need to get a single slow stick of ram that only requires 1.8 volts to start. I had to go and purchase a cheap 256 meg stick of DDR2-533 ram and used that by itself to start up the system. VOILA! Once it booted it made the change from Auto to 2.0 volts on the bios setting for ram voltage and then rebooted the computer again with my OCZ ram instead of the the DDR2-533 and everything worked fine from that point.

Hopefully that works for you and with any luck Asus will fix this in their next bios. Love the board so far and have an e6400 running at 3.0ghz so far with stock settings and solid as a rock. Pretty sure I have lots more room to go on the overclock but I'll let it burn in first. Pretty darn pleased so far other than the above bios quirk. Good Luck!

You have also picked OCZ and from what I've read, OCZ doesn't work too great with the P5B-E. In fact, it's a very picky board when it comes to memory. So do a search to see if the motherboard has been tested with your memory, or get other memory. My G.Skill worked fine.
While your board is being flashed, you also eliminate the possibility that it doesn't support C2D processors (a problem that my friend had with his P5B Deluxe).

Anyway, it's just a warning. Other than the little BIOS flaw, the board is great (although my pc is currently at repair, the motherboard might have given up already, but my case is exceptional).

Phrantic said:
I'll just give you a warning beforehand, because I had the same problem with my P5B-E and DDR2-800 memory.

If you get a certain revision of the board, the memory will try to boot at 1.8V standard, which would probably mean that your OCZ memory wouldn't boot with that board unless you were to take 1.8V rated memory and changed the voltage to 2.0 in the BIOS. I had to let the store I bought it from flash my BIOS before sending it to me. If you are going to order both of those parts at newegg (or your entire system in fact) see if they can check for you if the parts boot well together. Consider the quote below;

You have also picked OCZ and from what I've read, OCZ doesn't work too great with the P5B-E. In fact, it's a very picky board when it comes to memory. So do a search to see if the motherboard has been tested with your memory, or get other memory. My G.Skill worked fine.
While your board is being flashed, you also eliminate the possibility that it doesn't support C2D processors (a problem that my friend had with his P5B Deluxe).

Anyway, it's just a warning. Other than the little BIOS flaw, the board is great (although my pc is currently at repair, the motherboard might have given up already, but my case is exceptional).

Thanks for the heads up, I will check around.. see what is up with it.. worst comes to worse Ill just pick up a different motherboard and completly avoid the issue.

ste, I have everything.. Im just upgrading from S939/AMD 3700/DFI Lanparty.

PanzerKammander said:
Thanks for the heads up, I will check around.. see what is up with it.. worst comes to worse Ill just pick up a different motherboard and completly avoid the issue.

Yeah, if you want a similar board get a Gigabyte P965-DS3. Said to be just as great at overclocking, has none of these silly problems and is cheaper too. But I think the look and the layout of the P5B series is better.

PanzerKammander said:

I still want to Know.

:p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom