Ordered my Puter! - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 02-14-2007, 03:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Ordered my Puter!

Just wanted to say thanks to all that helped! I've gotten my order purchased and its been shipped today. I'm gonna keep my fingers crossed that it gets here by friday. Here's the details...

Intel C2D e6600
Thermaltake 92mm CPU cooler
Corsair Dominator 800mhz Ram (4-4-4-12)
eVGA 680i mobo
eVGA 8800GTX Superclocked
Black Ultra Aluminus case
Ultra x2 550w psu
Zonet USB Wireless Network Adapter
Artic Silver 5

I will post pics as soon as I get it all put together. THANKS again!!!

Old 02-14-2007, 04:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Looks good, although I think Dominator RAM is a rip off but since there is a 40 dollar MIR it's not that bad. Just nit-picking but someone with your budget should have gotten a PSU with more head room with something like 650W seeing as how much more power video cards are eating, but 550W is just fine, at least for this generation.

Old 02-14-2007, 04:15 PM   #3 (permalink)
Ste
Do not Stare at my Avatar

Send a message via MSN to Ste

Quote:
Originally posted by Beefcake
Looks good, although I think Dominator RAM is a rip off but since there is a 40 dollar MIR it's not that bad. Just nit-picking but someone with your budget should have gotten a PSU with more head room with something like 650W seeing as how much more power video cards are eating, but 550W is just fine, at least for this generation.
The Amperage and wattage is fine. But I have a different Problem with his choice. The brand. Ultra has come a long way from the time they came out with the first versions of the Ultra X-Connect. BUT, for that money he could have got one MUCH MUCH better.

This is why People need to ask here first, cause they will just go out and waste money on a so so (Or worse Brand).

Not that Im saying youll have a problem with it, but, but its Ultra..... Im sure many understand where Im comming from. (After all my Ultra X-Connect is a great door stop....)
Old 02-14-2007, 06:47 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

the reason I went with the Ultra PS is because it came with the case free... $100 bucks for both. Even if I decide to get a different PSU, I haven't lost any money. In fact it was actually cheaper to get them both.
Old 02-14-2007, 07:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
Ste

And you want to know why its cheaper?

Think about that for a moment..
Old 02-14-2007, 07:21 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Techie

There's no reason to be that uptight about the psu choice, it's not an A-brand but I recall the Ultra X-Connect (as Ste mentioned) being a good and quiet psu and I'm sure they haven't blown their expertise in that time. It's not a big brand for power supplies but for a small player I think they're quite alright.

But needless to say, if you're ordering such an expensive system, why pick a cheap case+psu combo...
Old 02-14-2007, 07:35 PM   #7 (permalink)
Ste

Quote:
Originally posted by Phrantic
A-brand but I recall the Ultra X-Connect (as Ste mentioned) being a good and quiet psu and I'm sure they haven't blown their expertise in that time.

But needless to say, if you're ordering such an expensive system, why pick a cheap case+psu combo...
I wish being sarcastic, My X-connect is a door stop for a reason. Cause it was a POS.

And we should be "that uptight" about power supplies. Its only the Heart of the computer.
Old 02-18-2007, 08:25 AM   #8 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Welp, before ya'll go and say I told you so you were right about the power supply. It was junk right out of the box. Hook up everything and when I powered on the system fans would spin for a sec then shutdown and a yellow light would show up labeled CR12J2. I pulled out the power supply and tried in on my old computer that I knew worked adn nothing... So I drove and hour and a half one way to Fry's and bought a PC Power & Cooling 610w Silencer. Hooked it back up and BAM, it works! As for the case... it does seems a little cheap but it had everything I was wanting and I do like the looks of it. I'm still satisfied with it.

I'm currently trying to get XP on there, but for some reason it only detects my HD as being 137GB but on the POST screen it says 320GB, have to figure that one out....
Old 02-18-2007, 03:22 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master Techie

look forward to pics :d
Old 02-18-2007, 03:35 PM   #10 (permalink)
G33K P0W3R!!!!

Location: HickTown, California (hesperia), and West Hollywood

u need to have xp sp2.

Need a HDTV? Come find me at BestBuy #108 in Victorville XD
:D-----v Just pwnt my cpu, 900mhz OC v-----:D
Closed Thread