Are Optys good for Gaming?

Status
Not open for further replies.
lancec2c30 said:
Just dont listen to the general when he goes all anti-AMD, because when the tables turn he will be booing intel.
The General said:
There is no reason to buy/build an AMD system right now unless you're just another AMD fanboy who wants to pay more for slower performance.

having components that only work with an amd (ie socket 939 mobo), and with no budget to change over to c2d makes it a good reason to buy it RIGHT NOW if he wants to upgrade, i think.
he can get a cpu that could be tremendously better than his current set-up (no sig so i don't know) for 150 bucks versus 3 to 500 more.
go for it, agent smith!

EDIT: lol whirlwind! juice up that 6600 son! look forward to seein 1.0ghz + in your sig soon...

my current setup is an s754 Athlon64 3400+. i am taking 1gig of my 1.5gigs of memory out of it. this build is less of a replacement full on, and more of a stop gap until '08 when i will be going all out and getting a new machine all together. this is simply upgrading my mobo/cpu. i first wanted an X2 but they are either nonexsistent in s939, or they are waaay over priced. Thanks for the replies, i understand general's frustration i know alot of fan boys on both sides. a friend of mine built a rig with a 3.4ghz p4 the same time i built my last, and i told him that clawhammers outran prescots, but he was such a big fan boy it didnt matter to him at all.

UA_Iron said:
Too bad you dont live around a Fry's electronics.

I've seen a E6300 with mobo combo for $169. It was an ECS mobo, but so what.

With that budget why consider upgrading, what are you upgrading from?

You can get an AMD 64 4000+ for like under 89 bucks now.

yea there is a frys like 30 mins from my house. i was gonna get that e6300+ecs p4m800pro v2 but i did not have the money at the time. now when i actually have the money for it i dont see the combo deal anymroe i'm mad.:angry:

The General said:
I've said it before, and I'll say it again:

There is no reason to buy/build an AMD system right now unless you're just another AMD fanboy who wants to pay more for slower performance.

Having a small budget is plenty reason to go with AMD. As soon as you pass the $180 processor price point, its all Intel. But anything below that, you'd have to go with AMD, and the Athlon 64 (or Opteron) is the best choice at that price level.

Telling people to go Intel is one thing. Saying, "nothing to see here" incessantly ever single time that anyone says a word of praise about AMD is another. Stop it, its getting annoying. We can tell an AMD fanboy when we see one, thank you very much.

TriEclipse said:
Having a small budget is plenty reason to go with AMD. As soon as you pass the $180 processor price point, its all Intel. But anything below that, you'd have to go with AMD, and the Athlon 64 (or Opteron) is the best choice at that price level.

Telling people to go Intel is one thing. Saying, "nothing to see here" incessantly ever single time that anyone says a word of praise about AMD is another. Stop it, its getting annoying. We can tell an AMD fanboy when we see one, thank you very much.
unless, like in this case, you still have DDR1 RAM, and maybe even an AGP card. then, it will cost a fair bit more than $180 to upgrade to a C2D

Yes, ofcourse, valid point there. My friend owns a system with a 3200+, 1GB DDR1, and an AGP card. He does not want to be stuck with any outdated components. So to upgrade any major component in his system, he would have to upgrade every other major component as well. A $180 C2D is hardly a possible upgrade for him, as it would come with atleast $300-$400 worth of other upgrades.

Admittedly, Core 2 Duo processors should be restricted to new builders. Like my friend, I would just wait until I had enough money for a new computer, instead of upgrading to lower-par systems. But for those that do want to upgrade from an AMD system, another Athlon 64 is definitely the best choice.

i agree with trieclipse and others.
Budget CPU's Right now?

x2 3800+
opty 165
fx 55

Intel D 805 (you dont have the board so why bother with intel till you have the cash?)

for 150, id save a few and get the x2 3800.

just an update.

i ordered the arts yesterday.
along with the opty i got an Abit Ultra KN8 mobo
a newer 250gig hd, and a better coolermax psu.
i should have ordered last week since its christams weekend the parts wont be here until the end of next week, but i was too busy. im parring this up with a Geofrce 7900GT that was a gift to me. so i should have fairly decent system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom