Opty 170 heatsink

Status
Not open for further replies.

NickFas

In Runtime
Is the stock heatsink and fan for the 170 fairly decent? Also, does it come with thermal paste or one of those pad things. If it comes with a pad then i might get as5. But, if it isn't a good heatsink then i'll probly buy a zalman7700

It's ok.... It has heatpipes and looks similar to the XP-90 and it comes with thermal paste pre-applied.

so when you install it do you just peel off a covering so that the paste is adhesive or what?

lazerman said:
It's ok.... It has heatpipes and looks similar to the XP-90 and it comes with thermal paste pre-applied.

True. It's called a thermal pad.

It's not that bad of a TIM, for standard use. IF you are overclocking, a much higher quality TIM is recommended. (Arctic Silver 5)

As far as the thermal pad goes, just peel off the thin paper that covers it, you're ready to attach. The problem with thermal pads is that they tend to harden up, rock solid after a few months. Which isn't good because during this hardening the material starts to form tiny air bubbles.

So wouldn't those tiny air bubbles create a lessened heat transfer? Also, how much paste are you supposed to put on a processor? are u supposed to spread it?

Yup. You got it.

Applying thermal paste is not as hard as a many people think. ONe important thing to remember is (LESS) is better.

1.) Clean both surfaces. (Heat Sink & CPU Die) use rubbing alcohol.

2.) After CPU is in socket, put a rice size dot of thermal paste on the center of the CPU die. With an old credit card or similar object, start to spread out the thermal paste evenly over the whole die. If a little more is needed add it now. Then scrap the thermal paste extremely thin over the die. It may take a few times to get the hang of it. The thinner the better.

3.) Carefully lower Heatsink, attach.

The whole idea behind thermal paste is conductive heat transfer. There are microscopic impurities in the heatsink and cpu surface. These hinder heat transfer. So the thermal material is used to "patch" these impurities, filling them in. Allowing for better conductive heat transfer.

You don't spread the paste with anything unless you have removed the heatspreader. If you still have the heatspreader, the weight of the heatsink evenly spreads out the paste.

003 said:
You don't spread the paste with anything unless you have removed the heatspreader. If you still have the heatspreader, the weight of the heatsink evenly spreads out the paste.

Um. I've used the technique I listed many, many, many times. It ensures that you get a nice, even, thin spread.

"You don't have to spread the paste" - 003's technique will be just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom