optimum temperatures for my stock core i7 930?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alive.777

In Runtime
Well i'am running a Core i7 930 @ stock and am kinda dissapointed at the temps it is producing. Iam using a Zalman CPSN10 Extreme cooler and Arctic Silver 5 thermal paste. It idles around 45 degrees and reaches 65 degrees in Crysis. This seems pretty hot to me considering I payed extra money for a very decent cooler. AND I still want to overclock sometime in the future. The CPSN10 Extreme cooler has several fan speeds, I have not really tested it on the other speeds apart from auto which seems to automaticly change the fan speed according to the CPU temperature. I have also replaced the thermal paste several times, ensuring a thin layer is applied to the heat sink and CPU. The cooler is firmly attached as well.

Also another quick question, does my graphics card (HD5770) bottle neck my i7? I never thought GPU could bottle neck CPU, I only thought it was the other way around? Thanks for any help:big_smile:

Also another quick question, does my graphics card (HD5770) bottle neck my i7? I never thought GPU could bottle neck CPU, I only thought it was the other way around?
Neither will bottleneck the other ;)

Could you take a picture of your CPU, with the heatsink off? Perhaps you're appling too much thermal paste.

Arctic Silver 5 is not a good paste to use with a newer modern cpu. At one time Arctic Silver 5 was the King but times have changed, get some Tuniq TX-2 and only use a gob about the size of a single grain of rice. Put the gob of paste in the center of the heatspreader and let the weight of the heat sink spread the paste.

Newegg.com - Tuniq TX-2 Cooling Thermal Compound

To much paste is worse than to little, it maybe hard to believe but it's True.

And the Zalman CPSN10 Extreme cooler was a huge waste of money, it's way overpriced and it will Never Equal a TRUE or the Prolimatech. I have a few TRUE's for sale when you decide to switch.

http://www.techist.com/forums/f40/fs-3-thermalright-ultra-extreme-120-true-232239/

Edit:
As for Bottlenecking. No your CPU isn't bottlenecking your GPU. But your GPU could be considered a bottleneck for the i7 920 and above. But I'm really knit-picking. I say it's a bottleneck because your CPU has the power to run (2) GTX 480's or (2) 5870's and your limiting it's full potential with a 5770. Don't get me wrong, a better way to look at it is, you have more upgrade potential :thumbsup:

Ok, i replaced the thermal paste yet again and this yeilded slightly different results. Iam now ideling at: (celcius)

Core #0 - 41C
Core #1 - 36c
Core #2 - 40c
Core #3 - 38c

That is a bit better than previous. i guess you can expect these powerful i7's to run pretty hot without water cooling.

:D geeez, those temps are higher than my load temps

eheh ;)

the Zalman heat sink isnt all that great and like Slaymate said , artic silver isnt all that great either.

when i redid my loop i couldnt find my Shin Etsu, so i used Artic Silver and im getting 3* higher temps.

Shin Etsu is the best BTW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom