Opterons and OC'ing...lower = better?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lord AnthraX

Fully Optimized
Ok I was reading this article and they were OC'ing the opteron 180 and 165.

They stated Believe it or not, our Opteron 180 was practically allergic to overclocking. There's typically less headroom in a high-frequency part, but in light of our Opteron 165's sheer willingness, I didn't expect to see the Opteron 180 throwing errors in Prime95 at 2.58GHz and 1.375V. More voltage, again, wasn't the answer. I eventually decided not to bother finding the limits on the 180 because it was so much less interesting than the 165. So, here's how the Opteron 165 performs at 2.65GHz...

article can be found here http://techreport.com/reviews/2006q1/opteron-165-180/index.x?pg=1

They used 2GB of DDR 400 ram in the test setups...

So Im thinkin Is my Opty 175 going to be a bad OC'er becuase it has no headroom? like it said,The 180 was almost allergic to it...

Im thinking is lower Opteron better?

some one please explain:confused:

It doesn't say what the stepping is anywhere in the article...

The only way to find out if your CPU is any good at overclocking, is to overclock it and find out.

You'll never know what you'll achieve with your CPU because they are all different and will be able to achieve different OCs.

Basically all the opterons will OC to around the same speed because the higher versions are the same as the 165 just with a higher speed.

My 165 is at 2.8GHz, the only thing keeping it from going higher is heat. I need water cooling :(

My Opteron just doesnt want to go further :(

2.85Ghz @ 1.55V, idles at 35C :shocked:

Yeah it is, when it hits over 50c on air cooling, thats when it fails out on prime. That, and the fact that if I try to raise voltage any higher, it loses stability, and that is a sure sign of heat being the problem. And voltage is not very high, mind you. Only 1.5v.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom