Opteron question

Status
Not open for further replies.

NickFas

In Runtime
Is getting a dual core opteron worth it? I am looking to build a new rig this summer and i am thinking of gettin an opteron processor. I am not very familiar with opteron but i am considering overclocking it. Anyways, just wondering what some good opertons are that are comparable to an x2 4400 and fairly cheap.

also: what are the pros and cons of opteron?

I'm in a similar situation, but since I'll be using it for 3D art too I decided I might as well go opteron.

I know they have a higher L2chache, and they OC better, but that's it.

I'm wondering if getting a opty 165 is fine, or if you see major boosts with a 170. (sorry to derail slightly.)

will the 175 have the same clock speed as the 4400..i got the 175 and just got the 170 not much diffrence..iam an animation student that why i got the opteron....i would go the 170 and oc to get the best out of it unless you are willing to pay the extra 130 for the 175(i regret that)

Yea, they have a larger L2 cache when compared with Venices, and they generally overclock better. Thats all though, nothing else.

Flanker said:
Yea, they have a larger L2 cache when compared with Venices, and they generally overclock better.. Thats all though, nothing else.
so what are you saying not every 170 would oc?

No, not every. Have seen some 170s not break the 2.5Ghz mark.

Rare though. If I were to buy one, I'd still go for an 939 Opteron over a Athlon 64.

I really wish people would search

http://techist.com/showthread.php?postid=604150&highlight=opteron+faq#post604150

opty.jpg

The Opterons are suprisingly getting better and better somehow...the week46s have been really good and I now see the week47s popping up and a 165 like mine has 2.55Ghz 1.5vcore stable

My Opteron is still on stock cooling and was able to hit I think 2.5ish with no vcore change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom