Opteron or Athlon X2 Dual Core

Status
Not open for further replies.

HAVOC

Fully Optimized
I've been seeing a lot of people posting on all different threads about opteron CPU's. The seem to become a very popular choice for gamers and oc'ers these days. I've done a little research, but i'm sure there is someone here that can break it all down for me.

With-in the next 3 months i'll be finally building my new machine.
I'm a serious gamer, yet I do a ton of other things, too numerous to list. So I'm planning on a dual core solution. Now, with all of this talk about Opterons, i'm wondering what model would be suitable for me?
Under $1000 Socket 939? If they are such good overclockers i'd be inclined to do so.

If I go opteron, which one should I go with?

Under $1000 definitely go for the opteron 180, its the same as the 4800+X2, but it's cheaper and probably overclocks more.

What core is that? Denmark? I haven't seen it cheaper then the 4800+ unless it's OEM. Which i'd never buy an OEM CPU. They only have 1 year warranties.

Ok. Say the 180 is the same price as the 4800+. What will be the tru benefits to going with the 180 over 4800+?

If i'm going to spend almost $900 on a CPU, i want tons of bang for my buck. lol

Yeah the FX-60 is dual core, but i can only imagine that it's going to be well over $1000.00 which i'm never going to spend again on a CPU.

I bought a FX-57 a few months ago and then decide to go Dual Core instead. I was lucky enough to sell the FX-57 to a BF2 Clanmate of mine for $925. I paid $1011 for it. He lives an 1.5 hours away from me and he drove to me to get it, so I figured it wasn't that bad of a deal.
I did lose a few dollars on it, but oh well, that will teach me to buy things before I'm ready to actually build the system. That having been said, "I'm not going to spend more then $900 on any processor ever. Hopefully less...

Well, the warrenty does not matter, because it will be void when you overclock it anyway. for overclocking, get opty 180, for not overclocking, get 4800+. but even if you say now you don't want to overclock, thats what I said when I first got this pc, and look at me now. think hard on this one.

AMD wont know if you overclocked your cpu or not, unless you fried it or there are burnt marks...

i heard the opteron 180 arent OCing as well now, i would get the 4800+ if i were you.

"003"

What about this:

AMD X2 4400+
DFI LanParty UT RDX200
Sapphire X1800XT
PCP&C 510 SLI-PFC or may-be Antec Truepower TC 550w?

About $1500 with shipping

I think it makes sense what you said the other day about getting the 4400+ instead of the 4800+ if you can OC the 4400+ 200Mhz to 4800+ speeds for over $300 less.

Then what about some good overclocking RAM (2x1G) - the problem is my overclocking experience is very minimal. What do you think?

If I upgrade to that above i'll have:

AMD X2 4400+
Zalman 9500LED
DFI LanParty UT RDX200
(Need new OCin' RAM) 2x1Gig
Sapphire X1800XT
Creative X-fi Fatal!ty FPS
PCP&C 510 SLI-PFC
ThermalTake Shark BLK
Aerocool Gatewatch Black
WD Raptor 74G @ 10k
(3) 250G Seagate Barracudas