Opteron 165 only good for Servers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EndofSanity

In Runtime
Okay, i have heard many gamers pleased with an OVERCLOCKED opty 165. But im wondering because moy local computer friends say its only good for servers. specs wise it looks very good, so i dont know. I will be gaming and if i get opty i will be overclocking. Whicih should i go with for gaming? not a server:p

Opteron 165 over a 3800 x2 I'd say. Ive heard that the opterons are just athlon chips that pass more rigurous tests the the Athlons, thus meaning they are more stable which is what servers want. OCers can exploit this stability by overclocking them fairly far.

Your local computer friends only know what AMD tells them. Opteron is excelent for home use when OCed.

what about stock? all you people go on about is Overclocking.
Why dont u just say save money & get a P1 & over clock it

The_Tobes99 said:
what about stock? all you people go on about is Overclocking.
Why dont u just say save money & get a P1 & over clock it

Because it's pentium.

well AMD K6 god ****, i used that to make a point not as a recommendation, you single minded fanboys following the trends on this site disgust me, there is NOTHING wrong with XFX, you just heard one bad story & u are anti XFX & call it a low quality prodect, same with maxtor,ONLY MAKE RECOMENDATIONS FROM EXPERIENCE!!!

I'll pretend I didn't read that ...

And yes the Opteron series are awesome if you plan on OCing. If not ... I find they are usually better or in the same ball-park as the Athlon 64 or Athlon 64 x2 (depending on if the Opteron is single or dual core obviously) performance wise. But it'd be really stupid to buy an Opteron and not OC.

So we are dumb because we don't want to buy a $1200 CPU when we can make a $300 one perform as good as or outperform it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom