Opinions on what to upgrade?? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Closed Thread
Old 04-16-2009, 03:03 PM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie
Default Opinions on what to upgrade??

Hello once again,

In a previous thread I was debating on upgrading my proc from a old B3 Rev to a E8600... but while browsing Newegg I ran into some issues...

Currently I'm running:

Nvidia Geforce 8800GTX
Asus Rampage Formula
2x2gb Corsair Dominator PC2-8500
Watercooled CPU

I was itching to upgrade to the E8600 just to try to clock the crap out of it, but I started noticing that I want a New GPU (Asides, I think the 8800GTX has some vsync issues on Vista, I've fined tuned it quite a bit... and it's TONS better, but it's still there). I was looking into picking up a GTX285... though someone mentioned that I should wait on that...

Also, I noticed that I also wanted another monitor. Currently I'm on a Samsung SyncMaster226bw 22". It's a great monitor really, but it only supports 1680x1050. Where there is a Asus 24" that looks really nice and supports a full 1080p. I think it would be neat to run a dual monitor setup... not really for sure why at this point, I just like stuff!!

-To the point though I'm torn... because they're all about the same price and currently I can only afford 1!

So with taking into consideration upcoming technology etc... which one do you all think is the smartest buy???

Asus 24"
Or GTX285

-EDIT: BTW... Asus also has a 22" thats a freak'n steal IMHO @ $100 less then the 24" right now too... Problem is, it's still only 1680x1050, but it's a great looking monitor... I've never dual monitor display before... so I wonder if having a 24" at larger res then my current would be strange... 24" would be the main, 22" secondary... Also, I've seen problems back and forth with people saying they've had problems with 8800GTX having significant performance loss while dual displayed... anyone have any insight on that???

Old 04-16-2009, 03:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
Monster Techie
Send a message via AIM to TheOtis
Default Re: Opinions on what to upgrade??

First off, what do you mean performance loss with dual displays? You mean spanning your desktop and gaming over the two monitors? I can't comment on that, don't know anything about it, hopefully someone else can.

Your Q6600 is a great processor, if you're itching to upgrade I would get the GTX 285. What was the persons reasoning to wait on a video card?

Your rig as it is now is really fine. Since your CPU is on water, you sould be running it at least 3.6ghz, and especially at that, it's still a very competitive proc. If you game, you should be most concerned with your video card, which is why I say go with a GTX 285, gaming at the resolution you do and higher, you'll be quite pleased with it.

Back on being mobile - ASUS G551- 15.3" 1080p - Core i7 4710HQ - GTX 860M - 16GB DDR3 1600 - 512GB Samsung 850 Pro - Steam ID: TheOtis
Old 04-16-2009, 03:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Imo, you shouldn't upgrade anything. I say wait till summer when Nvidia's 300 series cards come out; at least this is what I've heard. If you absolutely have to have something now though, get the gtx 285.
CPU: Intel Core i7 920
Ram: 12GB 1600 Mhz DDR3
Mobo: ASUS P6T
PSU: 750W PC Power & Cooling
Old 04-16-2009, 03:39 PM   #4 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

I'd say grab a 285 as if you ever went with another newer build, you could just reuse that card for the new build. you would not be able to use the e8600 as it's an older (if you can call it that) chipset.

edit: You could go for a best of both worlds situation. get like a gtx 260 or 275 along with the e8400. That's still a very fast and overclockeable processor/
Closed Thread