Opinions on a new desktop system

Hawaiianham

Beta member
Hi, I need a desktop computer that can handle university work, including installing various programs potentially for scripting but mostly various teaching programs. Also, I'll be needing it for photoshop and other photo-editing programs.

From these requirements...what do you guys think of these systems? Do you have better recommendations?

Acer: Amazon.com : Acer DT.VFUAA.004;VL4620G-UI7377X Desktop : Desktop Computers : Computers & Accessories

Lenovo: Amazon.com : Lenovo ThinkCentre M73 10AY0020US i5-4570T 8GB 128GB SSD W7P Tiny Desktop Computer : Computers & Accessories

Also, in regards to the Acer version. What is the general consensus in refurbished desktops?

How much Photoshop are we talking here? It's a toss up because the i5 is a dual core but comes with an SSD which can impact productive performance as much as having the extra 2 cores from the i7.

How much Photoshop are we talking here? It's a toss up because the i5 is a dual core but comes with an SSD which can impact productive performance as much as having the extra 2 cores from the i7.

The photoshop is mainly for my younger sister's jr. high work, so I'm assuming basic photo editing.

edit - I'm open to non-small form desktops as well. These things just caught my eye, but if I have to sacrifice a significant decline in lifespan and increase in cost then I'd opt out to regular sized towers.

Last edited:
Then in that case my vote is for the Lenovo due to it being cheaper and coming with an SSD. You can always use a USB3 external drive for storage if needed. The i5 will give the same general performance that the i7 will while also consuming less power. The HD4600 on the i5 is also quite a bit better than the HD4000 paired with the i7.

Back
Top Bottom