Opinions on i7 build

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm using a biostar 790 gx, Newegg.ca - BIOSTAR TFORCE TA790GX 128M AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 790GX HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards with an AMD Phenom II X4 940. I tried attaching it to the bracket first then screwing it into the mobo but the screws were not long enough and I didn't want to put too much pressure on the heat-sink itself.

Right now I have my fan facing forwards into the drive bay, only other way it would fit on was facing the back. It lined up almost perfectly with my back fan and only a couple mm of clearence, so I wasn't sure if that was good or bad. I'm thinking it would be best for you if yours was facing upwards towards that big fan maybe.

Yeah bending it helped me a lot, it doesn't have to be completely straight, just less of a bend so the clips stick out further.

Once that was in, I had to push the other clip into the other side of the bracket with a crazy amount of force. After that, everything was mounted on nicely.

That just doesn't sound good but I checked out the installation manual posted at sunbeamtech.com and that didn't look fun either. I'd be worried about denting or even warping the heatspreader and the pressure it sounds like your putting on the mobo has to be worse than the weight of my True Copper.

It looks like you could remove the retention bracket thats screwed to the base of the heatsink. You could then order a Thermalright True 1366 retention kit. You'll probably have to make a spacer to make a tight fit. Something simular to my business card shim I use after lapping a heatsink, here's a pic.
heatsink4.jpg

ya, for X58 i would never have used the core contact. mounting sucks. there are people on other forums having the same problems too. TRUE FTW!

@dirkpitt45

Looking at the Biostar MB, it looks much easier to install... at least when the fan is facing the RAM. I would've mounted it in the direction you did, just couldn't make it happen.

@Slaymate

Well, so far I havent ran into any troubles... yet. Im having decent temps. Weather has been very warm lately (85+ F) so I average in the low 40s C at idle. Under load is probably around the 50s. When the weather cools I get into the mid 30s C.

If I can remember correctly, the pressure I used is nearly the same if not slightly more than the pressure I used to mount a stock AMD heat sink. I kinda figured if a heat sink uses clips to mount onto the motherboard it would require some pressure to mount. I dont know... I just hope Im not damaging anything.

I shouldve grabbed my first option, the Xigmatek Dark Knight. I wished Newegg would carry the True. They ship so fast, I would want my stuff ASAP

@philbar71

Yeah, the veterans on this board should stop recommending this cooler for i7 builds even though its a pretty decent cooler. Just not worth the trouble to install. This is the only mistake I made that I can think of out of the entire build.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom