Opinions on i7 build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow what a PITA! I got it in though I had to mount it in an unconventional way. Its kinda hard to explain. I basically clipped the short end of the mounting clip onto the bracket. Screwed in the bracket onto the MB. Then I had to put an ungodly amount of pressure to push the second clip on the bracket.

Sheesh, if there are problems I might just order the True (gotta research it though) or I should've gone with the Dark Knight instead...

I didnt buy the 920 retail... Ahh man. Will update again soon.

The fan is now facing the Video card. Not sure if this is right...

I dont know if I want to put in that much work for moderate OCing. Ill check it out though.

Some good new so far. I checked to see if everything powers up and work out of the case. I get a display and everything which is great. Fans for the GPU, HSF, and PSU works.

Anything else I should look out for before I put it in the case?

I wish I could, but the MB capacitors are in the way.

As long as there is a fan on top of the case, it should be cool right?

update:

i would like to say that i got it up and running. installed windows 7 rc and beginning to install everything else. so far so good...

Update: Posting from my new build.

A picture of the CPU temps. Like I said earlier, I had trouble installing it (an hour atleast!) but the temps came out pretty nice. Ambient temperature is ~21C
2hg4u28.jpg

Ill post some pics up tomorrow. I would've taken pics through out the day as I was building it, but that HSF was a tough one. Never felt so frustrated in awhile.

Ran into a little scare earlier. I decided to move some cables around to make things a little neater behind the MB. I used some electrical tape to tape the 3-pin connector of the exhaust fan onto the motherboard tray. Tried to power on the computer and it tries to but fails. Fans spin momentarily before dying. I guess it was the way I taped it or something because after I removed it, the computer powered on. Ah stupid me...

That's weird because electrical tape is used to insulate wires, maybe a part of the power connector was touching the motherboard tray.

That's weird because electrical tape is used to insulate wires, maybe a part of the power connector was touching the motherboard tray.

Yeah, I incorrectly taped the connectors :eek:.

My internet was down for the last 5 days so wasnt able to upload pics.

bfmbzn.jpg

b7j58y.jpg

kai4xi.jpg

qozoy0.jpg

iqbs5l.jpg

I think I couldve done better for cable management, but that was all done in that one day. After finishing the build and cable management that day, I was like "screw it, leave it at that" and havent really done much since other then adding a sound card. Looks alright though I guess. Ill try to get some new pictures of the back of the motherboard and snap a few pics overall.

A tip for the core contact, if you take a pair of needle nose pliers and slide them over where the bracket "arms" bend. Then squeeze the pliers to smush the bend down a bit. It makes mounting a whole lot easier. I ran into the same problem the first time I put mine one. Had to get someone to hold the heatsink steady while I practically leaned on the **** thing.

A tip for the core contact, if you take a pair of needle nose pliers and slide them over where the bracket "arms" bend. Then squeeze the pliers to smush the bend down a bit. It makes mounting a whole lot easier. I ran into the same problem the first time I put mine one. Had to get someone to hold the heatsink steady while I practically leaned on the **** thing.

I thought of doing something similar to that. Instead of squishing the clip, I thought of cutting a little bit of the plastic on the sides of the bracket where the clips slip into. i wanted to make it shorter so that the clips could slip in, but decided against it. Your tip looks much better though.

The way I did it was I first hooked the short end of the clip on the HS onto one of the ends of the bracket.

29dtyfl.jpg

Heres a pic showing the clips.

I hook the short end of the clip to the end of the bracket, which is NOT screwed onto the motherboard yet. Yeah, I know thats not how it should be done but that was the only way I could hook the short clip of the HSF onto the bracket without any interference.

After I hooked the end onto the bracket, I started to screw in the bracket onto the motherboard. Once that was in, I had to push the other clip into the other side of the bracket with a crazy amount of force. After that, everything was mounted on nicely.

Which motherboard are you using and which way did you mount the HSF?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom