Opinions on i7 build

Status
Not open for further replies.
id go with OCZ Platinum 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit

7-7-7-24 at 12800 = <3

No one has said anything bad about it, and its great for clocking

id go with OCZ Platinum 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit

7-7-7-24 at 12800 = <3

No one has said anything bad about it, and its great for clocking

I think I'm set on the P6T. About the OCZ, how much of a difference in performance is there when comparing OCZ's lower timings with the Corsair I posted? I also read around about people pairing up the OCZ Platinums with the P6T. Since this kit doesn't have XMP profile, I'd have to manually adjust it. That should be easy correct? I see some people needed 1.64v to get the advertised speeds and 1.65 should be the max... I guess that's safe right?

And what's the deal with OCZ's rebate program? I always seem to read about how OCZ doesn't honor their rebates even when the customer did everything correctly. Anyone ever had trouble with OCZ? Good customer support?

If these Platinums are really that great then I might swap them with the Corsairs...

The safe voltage thing is a bit of a misnomer. If I remember correctly you have to keep the ram voltage within so many volts of the memory controller, but don't quote me on that.

As for the XMP profile, don't worry, it shouldn't be any harder than manually configuring your DDR2.

1.65v is Intels "maximum recommended" voltage. They also tell me i shouldnt be pushing 1.6v through my q6600, but i do that anyway :p You just have to know the other voltages to keep an eye on. If i recall, you need to keep the RAM voltage within .1? of the QPI voltage, but dont quote me on that. As for the p6t, i'm using one right now while my evga board is out for repair, its not a bad board, but i still prefer my evga just for the sole reason of it being a LOT easier to deal with evga RMA than asus.

I will agree that EVGA has a good rma policy, (so does OCZ), but i like to pick based on reliability of the hardware, not reliability of the rma. Asus parts are known to be rock solid, while Evga's reliability isn't one of their big selling points.

anyways, as veedub said, keep an eye on the QPI voltage and you should be good. Most Intel products are way under rated tolerance wise. I'm fairly certain that the rated tdp on Intel chips is for the worst case batch, and most are far better. Same with the safe voltage. I've run my e7200 past 1.5v on air (not 24/7 of course) and nothing bad has happened yet.

The only reason EVGA boards had any issues in the past is due to the Nvidia northbridge. Seeing as they use an intel chipset now, they will be just as solid as any other board maker. Only reason mine died is because i'm an idiot.

1.65v is Intels "maximum recommended" voltage. They also tell me i shouldnt be pushing 1.6v through my q6600, but i do that anyway :p You just have to know the other voltages to keep an eye on. If i recall, you need to keep the RAM voltage within .1? of the QPI voltage, but dont quote me on that. As for the p6t, i'm using one right now while my evga board is out for repair, its not a bad board, but i still prefer my evga just for the sole reason of it being a LOT easier to deal with evga RMA than asus.

Their RMAness rocks! I wish all of my parts were EVGA. Sent in a 7900GT couple weeks ago, have a brand new 8800GT :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom