Opinions on i7 build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sir Cumference

Baseband Member
Newegg.com - Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD3R LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

Newegg.com - G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100259L Radeon HD 4870 512MB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-620HX 620W ATX12V v2.2 and EPS12V 2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Power Supplies

Newegg.com - NZXT TEMPEST Crafted Series CS-NT-TEM-B Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives

I still need a heatsink for moderate OC.

This would be my second build since March 06, so its a pretty hefty upgrade. I want to know your guys opinions. I've been switching parts (everything except for CPU) over the last 2-3 months and finally came down to this build.

I also need a HS recommendation. I've been hearing that I should wait for a HS that is actually made for 1366 and not use a clip :confused:?

I'm not planning on building this just yet. If the OS ever comes in, I'll probably build (hopefully a month or two from now). By then, prices should hopefully drop a few bucks or so.

Anyway, any input is much appreciated.

get this ram instead

Newegg.com - G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory
its has better timings and cost the same

everything else looks ok to me.

Thanks for the link. Didn't see that. I will switch the other ram with this.

Get a 1GB 4870, and a 750TX, instead of the 620HX.

Well, currently I have a 19 in. Dell monitor so I figured I'll just stick with 512 since I doubt I'll notice any difference. I'll also be saving some money too. And I MIGHT upgrade to a 22 in. but I'm still sketchy about it.

I saw the 750tx and thought about it, but I hate dealing with so many cables and wanted a clean look so I went the modular route. If there is a better modular PSU, please tell me. Thanks.

XIGMATEK

Xigmatek has a new HSF for the Corei7 out. newegg doesn't have it yet but it would be a smart move.

Good looks on the link. I'll keep that in mind.

Newegg reviews aren't very credible to begin with.

My guess is the one Newegg carries doesn't ship with the lga1366 compatible bracket. If so then they will probably carry it soon enough and the heatsink will become compatible.

too bad its not the 3 heat pipe version and it has nickle pipes...

id just wait for the bracket to come out for the s1283 rifle:
XIGMATEK

Update

I'm thinking of changing the RAM and MB from the OG post to these:

Newegg.com - CORSAIR XMS3 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory
Newegg.com - ASUS P6T LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

G.skill has been sending missing ram modules and I just dont want to risk it. I'm thinking of staying with ASUS since my current ASUS is serving me well. I figure this X58 ASUS board would be just as reliable.

What do you guys think? Adds a few more dollars to my budget, but it should be okay.

p6t has served me well so far

do what you want with the ram. That is a pretty good deal with that rebate even if the other ram is better. It's up to you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom