Opinions on this build?

Highland3r

Solid State Member
Monitor and Accessories
Display Monitor
Newegg.com - NZXT Phantom PHAN-001WT White Steel / Plastic Enthusiast ATX Full Tower Computer Case

Keyboard
Newegg.com - Logitech K800 Black USB RF Wireless Slim Illuminated Keyboard

Mouse
Newegg.com - Mionix Naos 3200 Black 7 Buttons USB Wired LED-optical 3200 dpi Mouse

VGA HD Cable (Xbox 360)
Newegg.com - Intec VGA HD Cable for XBOX 360

The Build

Case

Newegg.com - NZXT Phantom PHAN-001WT White Steel / Plastic Enthusiast ATX Full Tower Computer Case

Power Supply
Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER Silent Pro RSA00-AMBAJ3-US 1000W ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V v2.92 SLI Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

Motherboard
Newegg.com - ASUS Crosshair V Formula AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Gaming Motherboard with 3-Way SLI/CrossFireX Support and UEFI BIOS

CPU
Newegg.com - AMD FX-8150 Zambezi 3.6GHz Socket AM3+ 125W Eight-Core Desktop Processor FD8150FRGUBOX

Graphics Card
Newegg.com - EVGA 01G-P3-1460-KR GeForce GTX 560 (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

Ram Memory Sticks

Newegg.com - G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000) Desktop Memory Model F3-2133C9D-16GXH

What are your thoughts on the above build? Could it be better within its price($1,752)? Is one of the parts incompatible with the motherboard? Are there wires that don't come with some of the parts that I need to buy separately? And will this setup be powerful enough to run the latest games at maximum settings, i.e. Skyrim, Crysis, so on. All input will be greatly appreciated!

Doesn't need 16gb ram, 8 is plenty.... I wouldn't trust that brand for PSU, go for corsair, ocz, sonic and at least 650 watts will be plenty. U need a copy of windows and DVD drive? Also a hard drive or SSD. Btw 8 cores might be a waste but I could be wrong tho.

Doesn't need 16gb ram, 8 is plenty.... I wouldn't trust that brand for PSU, go for corsair, ocz, sonic and at least 650 watts will be plenty. U need a copy of windows and DVD drive? Also a hard drive or SSD. Btw 8 cores might be a waste but I could be wrong tho.

+1 to all that, particularly since most current games use at most, 2 cores. There are uses for 8-core CPUs but gaming isn't one of them.

With a $1750 budget you should easily be able to fit in an SSD.

With a budget that high you can easily fit a 3570k and have about 2x the gaming performance. I would drop the 16GB of RAM and get the ti version of the 560.

Also, why did you link an Xbox HD cable? On that note, do NOT get that brand. You will have problems. Get the Microsoft branded VGA cable or use HDMI for your Xbox. I bought the same cable for my Elite back in 2010 and had to return it. New cable still did the same thing. After some Google, those cables aren't shielded properly and can have interference issues so I went back and paid the extra 5 bucks for the Microsoft cable and it has been perfect since (still using it).

With a budget that high you can easily fit a 3570k and have about 2x the gaming performance. I would drop the 16GB of RAM and get the ti version of the 560.

Also, why did you link an Xbox HD cable? On that note, do NOT get that brand. You will have problems. Get the Microsoft branded VGA cable or use HDMI for your Xbox. I bought the same cable for my Elite back in 2010 and had to return it. New cable still did the same thing. After some Google, those cables aren't shielded properly and can have interference issues so I went back and paid the extra 5 bucks for the Microsoft cable and it has been perfect since (still using it).

Okay, so get this, and this?
Newegg.com - Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I53570K - CPU
Newegg.com - MSI N560GTX-TI Twin Frozr II/OC GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card - Graphics Card

And only get 1 stick of the 8GB ram, not 2?

Crysis is from 2007, just sayin lol.

Yes, the 3570k is way beyond any AMD CPU in performance. You will need an 1155 mobo for that too.

The 560ti will give you the performance you want, but I think you might be able to find a new 570 for your budget as well. I only suggested the ti as you linked a vanilla 560 in the OP.

Get a 2x4GB set instead of the 16GB kit. No point in 16GB for gaming.

Alright this is my final build that I've came up with.

Full Tower Computer Case

Acer 27" Widescreen LED Monitor
Newegg.com - Acer S271HLbid Black 27" 5ms HDMI Widescreen LED Monitor 250 cd/m2 ACM 100,000,000:1 (1000:1)

Logitech Keyboard
Newegg.com - Logitech K800 Black USB RF Wireless Slim Illuminated Keyboard

Mionix Mouse - wired
Newegg.com - Mionix Naos 3200 Black 7 Buttons USB Wired LED-optical 3200 dpi Mouse

VGA HD Cable
Newegg.com - Intec VGA HD Cable for XBOX 360

Hardware
- - - - - - - - -

Hard Drive
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136533

SSD
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233312

DVD Drive
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827118031

1000w Power Supply
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182239

LGA 1155 Intel Motherboard
Newegg.com - ASUS P8Z77-V DELUXE LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

CPU Intel Core i5 x4 3.5GHz w/ integrated GPU Intel HD Graphics 4000
Newegg.com - Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I53570K

GeForce GTX 660 Graphics Card
Newegg.com - MSI N660 Ti PE 2GD5/OC GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

Ram Stick (2 x 4GB)
Newegg.com - G.SKILL Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000) Desktop Memory Model F3-17000CL9D-8GBSR

That's what I plan to get. It's set in stone, except for the power supply though. Let me know if I should get something else if the 1300w is overkill for that build. Speaking of which, how many watts will it take to run that hardware? And if there are any extra wires I may need, please link them.

youre missing a hard drive, an ssd, windows 7 and a dvd drive.

you need 550 watts, not 1300. so get a 650 watt power supply. don't get a rosewill power supply. stick with corsair or antec.

that case that you have is very large. a midtower sized computer will be plenty big.

the ram that you picked out isn't needed. ddr3 1600 is all that you need.

also i recommend doing a bit more research so you that you will have some idea what you are doing, because it looks like you have no idea.

I didn't forget about the hard drive and SSD. I just forgot to add it into my post and they require approval so I had to wait before I could edit them in. I did however forget about the dvd drive. Thanks for pointing that out. I wouldn't have gotten very far without that. And the 1300w was overkill so I bumped it down to a 1000w version. I plan to add onto it in the future which is why I bought a full tower case. The SSD will be used for boot and game storage. Hard drive is for everything else.

I'm well aware of how to build a PC and know what parts I need Jason. I'm just running it by the forum because the last build that I put together was not meant for gaming and this is only my 2nd time building a PC, so I wanted pointers from the community on which parts to get that are worth their value and give me what I'm looking for(Gaming). I'm about to go out right now after I finish writing this and buy a large desk that's big enough for the case to fit under and wide enough for at least 2 monitors. I would buy 2 of those monitor's but I want to test one first and then buy another if I like it.

Just remembered to get a couple of these too just in case.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812816027
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812123175

I can't stand it when you put everything together and then realize that the only thing preventing you from starting that bad boy up is a cable that wasn't included.

I think the answer to this question is no, but I don't want parts frying on the first couple months so I'll ask it anyways. Will I possibly need liquid cooling for this build?

Price Tag of all the parts + cable's + etc.. listed in this post and my previous post: $2,003

Back
Top Bottom