Opinions on the AMD FX 6100 Processor

y2adre

In Runtime
Just a question, but why does the amd fx 6100 processor get bad reviews? Many people dont like it and I have one and it's a workhorse. I do virtualization with VMware, play games, rip blu-rays, and just general browsing. Just want the forums opinion. You guys always have good opinions and advice!! Thanks in advance:D

Because it's slow. All Bulldozer chips are pretty crap compared to Piledriver, but even still the Phenom 2 X6 usually bests or equals the Piledriver version of this chip (the 6300) because it's a true hex core and IPC is so low. You can only make up low IPC with so much raw speed.

Also, all Bulldozer chips get bad reviews. It's just a real bad line of CPUs, much like the first Phenom series.
If it works for you, then that's all that matters.

Last edited:
Just a question, but why does the amd fx 6100 processor get bad reviews? Many people dont like it and I have one and it's a workhorse. I do virtualization with VMware, play games, rip blu-rays, and just general browsing. Just want the forums opinion. You guys always have good opinions and advice!! Thanks in advance:D

Depends on where your reading the reviews and comparing them side by side.
From neweggs customer review half of them don't make any sense.
AMD had a bug issue with the first batch with the bulldozer line.
They were able to quickly fix it, performance wise, its abit slower then sandy***** cpus or poison ivy lineup. :)
Have a FX4100 plenty speed and more powerfull then the PII 965be even at 4.1ghz oc.
AMD FX-6100 Zambezi 3.3GHz Socket AM3+ 95W Six-Core Desktop Processor FD6100WMGUSBX - Newegg.com
Learn more about FX-6100

Model
Brand
AMD
Series
FX-Series
Model
FD6100WMGUSBX

CPU Socket Type
CPU Socket Type
Socket AM3+

Tech Spec
Core
Zambezi
Multi-Core
Six-Core
Name
FX-6100
Operating Frequency
3.3GHz
L2 Cache
6MB
L3 Cache
8MB
Manufacturing Tech
32 nm
64 bit Support
Yes
Hyper-Transport Support
Yes
Virtualization Technology Support
Yes
Thermal Design Power
95W
Cooling Device
Heatsink and Fan included

Most people think the bulldozer lineup is a failure without a full proper testing and usage for a few good months.
If your happy with it thats all that matters if you have someone else deciding between intel or amd.
Test both or use both of them if you can sway them over by performance price tag and customer service support. ;)

AMD isn't all that bad.

********. Bulldozer was and will always be slower than Phenom 2 which is why it was called Faildozer. They aren't even anywhere close to SB in performance, so if I was you I wouldn't try bringing the 2nd (forget 3rd or 4th) gen Intel's in here.

I get it, you like your FX, and you're happy with it, but don't come into a thread spewing complete nonsense. In almost (99%) every single benchmark the 1100t creams the 6100 and sometimes even the 8150/20 at stock. The only place Bulldozer gets Phenom 2 is in memory bandwidth due to the Phenom 2 having a weaker IMC and a memory standard of 1333.

The question being asked was why do Bulldozer (specifically 6100) get bad reviews. Because they are bad, poor performing chips that were hot and power hungry. Simple. As. That.
People like them because they do well for their needs, that's fine. Thing is, it doesn't change raw benchmark numbers across the line and it isn't like it really varies between sites either. Not much really to argue there because numbers don't lie.

********. Bulldozer was and will always be slower than Phenom 2 which is why it was called Faildozer. They aren't even anywhere close to SB in performance, so if I was you I wouldn't try bringing the 2nd (forget 3rd or 4th) gen Intel's in here.

I get it, you like your FX, and you're happy with it, but don't come into a thread spewing complete nonsense. In almost (99%) every single benchmark the 1100t creams the 6100 and sometimes even the 8150/20 at stock. The only place Bulldozer gets Phenom 2 is in memory bandwidth due to the Phenom 2 having a weaker IMC and a memory standard of 1333.

The question being asked was why do Bulldozer (specifically 6100) get bad reviews. Because they are bad, poor performing chips that were hot and power hungry. Simple. As. That.
People like them because they do well for their needs, that's fine. Thing is, it doesn't change raw benchmark numbers across the line and it isn't like it really varies between sites either. Not much really to argue there because numbers don't lie.

Ok professional know it all, I'm going by what I know and tested.
I'm not really paying much attention to other reviews or mainly you who bash it too damn much without using it.

I'm telling the guy to use it fx6100 he made it clear it hasn't given him much problems at all.
You however just go by instinct and not seing it in action.
I know you use intel so ****ing well that you can't even manage to look at amd much.

Main point either chipset is fine, I rather some people go for amd.
If the game plays fine if the movie works if the office or lab works perfectly fine with set deadlines wtf not ?

Y2adre go for what you know man enjoy the amd chip. :)

Get off your high horse and take a chill pill. Your quick assumption that I've never used an FX chip is rather naive considering the vast knowledge I actually have of them. It would be rather smart of you to get off your AMD bias and go do some real research on the chips you're defending. It's not bias, it's ****ing fact Mike.

Google
Search Bulldozer review.
Read.

They are a large fail compared to their predecessor largely due to the fact that in most applications of use they went back in performance. Not usually something a new piece of tech does after being hyped up so bad and was in development for several years.
It has nothing to do with whatever is in my personal rig, and you tend to forget that before I jumped ship in 2009 I was nothing BUT AMD. They have failed to release a competitive piece of technology in the CPU scene, only stuff that gets by which is why folks like myself can't recommend an AMD CPU when you have comparable Intel tech that does it better for relatively the same price these days.
You also failed to read the line in my first post saying if it works for you that's all that matters. I also like how you want to try and personally attack my opinion based on fact which is shared by the whole of the internet.

So do like you said, go enjoy your AMD chip and quit trying to make pointless arguments up.

I love the passion this forum brings. Thanks Guys!I actually prefer intel and want an i5, but due to 3 kids and a wife, I use amd. I know statistically the fx bulldozer chips have not faired off well, but I think they compete and the price makes making builds clear for more video card or ram.

I love the passion this forum brings. Thanks Guys!I actually prefer intel and want an i5, but due to 3 kids and a wife, I use amd. I know statistically the fx bulldozer chips have not faired off well, but I think they compete and the price makes making builds clear for more video card or ram.
See those are the comments that make absolutely no sense. For the longest time the 6100/6300 was the same cost as a lower end i5, and the B75 motherboard was cheaper than a decent 970. As of right now, you can get more performance for less cash out of a Haswell i5, b85 board, rather than an 8350 and expensive 990fx board required for the power usage.

*seethes* lol. I'm using a 1090t but pretty soon I am thinking about getting one of the Piledriver FX 95xx chips.
Huge waste of money. For the same price as the 9590 you can have almost a whole new computer with a better performing Intel.

Edit: Wow, so actually checked Newegg. Has anybody really looked at the prices for the FX all in order? You can get an FX6300 for 119 with 20 bucks off, which is cheaper regularly than the 4350 lol. And they came out with a 9370 for 300 which gets demolished by Intel's 220 dollar i5 and can be easily matched by their own 200 dollar 8350.

I'll say, the 6300 for 100 bucks is a steal.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom