Open box monitor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Druid

Fully Optimized
My monitor no longer works properly, so I guess I'm stuck buying a new one:
http://www.techist.com/forums/f77/monitor-only-holds-signal-second-245155/#post1900966

It's over 2 years old so I don't believe I can even pay them to repair it. It would probably cost near what this monitor costs anyway.

Any reason to distrust open box? I don't need something new, just a replacement. I'll be going from a Samsung 2433BW 24' 1920x1200 down to a ASUS 1080p 23.6' monitor.

Newegg.com - Open Box: ASUS VH242H Black 23.6" 5ms HDMI Full 1080P Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 1000:1 (ASCR 20000:1) Built in Speakers

If I remember correctly, Newegg allows up to 5 dead/stuck pixels on the screen. I would bet that that is why any monitor is returned.

A quick google search turns up with a Newegg page stating that...
"it is nearly impossible to guarantee that every LCD monitor is completely free of dead pixels, especially monitors with high resolution panels. Of course, too many dead pixels are unacceptable, since they will strongly affect display quality. This is why most LCD monitor manufacturers provide their own dead pixel policy to ensure product quality. "
Newegg.com - Learning Center,LCD Monitors

Basically, Newegg doesn't cover dead pixels. The manufacturer covers the dead pixels. I suppose Newegg would warrant a return if the dead pixels were higher than the manufacturer's specifications. If not, I am not sure if Newegg will accept a RMA.

Yeah, but if it had dead pixels they wouldn't reshelf it would they? If I bought it and it had dead pixels, I could just return it right away as long as it is within the 30 days, right?

I believe that they re shelve it. I don't think that they even check if the product is functional. I have read of video cards that were overclocked until they died, and then newegg sold them to someone, who in turn, had to then return it to newegg.
Newegg also charges a 15% restocking fee.
Also, about open box items "Newegg only guarantees your receipt of the Open Box product with the purchase of this item. Any accessories MAY OR MAY NOT be included. Newegg will NOT send you any missing accessories, even if it is required to use all of the item's functions."

I read that Newegg has a 15 day return policy for open box items, but I couldn;t find this stated on newegg's website.

Well, I have dvi and power cables, so that isn't an issue. But you think it's not worth the risk? I'll be paying $160 otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom