Open box?

Status
Not open for further replies.

apsoul

In Runtime
I've noticed that newegg sells items listed as "open box" and "recertified." Does anyone have any experience buying these kinds of items, and are they generally ok? Maybe certain components are ok to buy "open box" while with others its not such a good idea.

I've bought a few and never had a problem.

Motherboards might be bad to buy open box, because of the lack of cables/faceplate...but then again, they get discounted better when sold open box than other parts.

I usually try to buy my GPU open box. I bought 2x 4850's on newegg before and both worked perfectly fine, but one of them was missing the crossfire bridge.

The only real risk you take when buying Open Box is that you might not get the extra things. Like with a mobo for example you might not get the i/o panel, the CD's, IDE, or any of that stuff.

But from my experiences, your less likely to get DOA parts from Open Box cause they double check them before they send them back out :)

open box items are generally fine. i bought my GTX 260 as a open box and it works great. got it for a steal of a price too, $130 :D

If I were to buy an open box mobo, I would be able to download everything on the disk right? and I would be able to find an I/O shield somewhere? I have 2 sata cables i could transfer out of current computer, which is all i will need for a bit (and their relatively cheap anyway). If it came down to it, is the I/O shield all that necessary or more of a cosmetic/airflow/this cord goes here sort of a thing?

With $64 off, it is in my price range, and it looks incredible. ASUS M4A79 Deluxe 790FX SB750 with dual x16 or quad x8, looks like good chipset cooling and seems to have more room around cpu socket which would make aftermarket heatsink installation a little easier. At $125 that seems like a steal.

I am stuck between getting a mobo with integrated, or getting a mid-range graphics card. Figure a 512mb gddr3 128/256bit would blow any integrated system out of the water, wouldn't break the bank, and would be all i will need for a while.

You could always contact the manufacturer and order a replacement IO shield.

It's mainly to help keep dust and critters out, anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom