Only three brass standoffs to secure the mobo to the case?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chumly

Baseband Member
I ordered the parts for my first build last week, and today I got the last package. I just began assembling everything but noticed there were only three brass standoffs for the motherboard. The mobo (DFI Lanparty UT nf4 SLI-DR Expert) has nine holes for standoffs and the case (Antec 180B) has eleven locations/screw-in places for the standoffs. The mobo came with none and the case came with some standoffs, but only three. I got the screws for securing the mobo to the standoffs and they also came with the case (none with the mobo) but there are more than twelve of those -- possibly just over twenty!

I could place the three brass standoffs in a triangle pattern, but I'm not sure I'm only supposed to have three of them. Antec support offices are closed for the day so I'll call them tomorrow, but I thought I'd go ahead and pose the question to you folks in the mean time:

Are only three brass standoffs enough to secure the motherboard to the case?

(Again, I checked the packages of both products: no screws or brass standoffs came with the motherboard and only three standoffs but a bunch of screws with the case... I also checked that little "toolbox" attached to the top drive cage in the P180B, but it was empty.)

I would try to find some extras. Actually, this happens quite frequently with me (although I've never gotten only three). They are usually pretty easy to come by. I would not recommend using only three.

nitestick said:
have you examined the case? i have found some cases have raised portions on the motherboard tray that the motherboard attaches to rather than standoffs.
It has all of those, but I didn't think those were the standoffs since they weren't the same color as the three brass ones. The brass ones are gold but the ones that are already on the case aren't, so I assumed they were of a wrong material or something...

Hmmm...

But there are also eleven of those raised things and the mobo only has nine holes. Wouldn't this require additional standoffs since otherwise parts of the mobo would be in contact with those pre-installed spacers? The mobo should only contact the spacers where it has the screw holes... If I used the pre-installed standoffs or whatever they are then the mobo would make contact with the case via those two additional spacers.

(EDIT: Also, those raised portions, they're not removable -- I tried.)

If Antec support isn't any help, then I think I'll go to some local PC shop tomorrow and see if I can get some extra brass standoffs as flashcat7777 suggested.

Sure, I'll give it a shot. It might not be until tomorrow morning/early afternoon, though, that I'll get around to uploading it (classes). I'll include the brass standoffs in the shot for comparison (the attached ones are just a regular shiny metal color -- a la chrome -- and not gold like the brass ones.)

This is embarassing.

Apparently those raised portions ARE the standoffs. Then I also miscounted the number of screw holes in the mobo and the number of standoffs already in the case. Turns out there are ten holes in the mobo, and nine spacers already on the case. The three standoffs I found were included in case the mobo had more holes than pre-installed spacers... I didn't notice the three screw holes on the mobo tray that are for adding those three spacers.

Whoops :eek: Thanks for the help, anyway. Sorry for the bother; I'm a noob.

(In another embarassing move, I accidentally ordered the upgrade TO WinXP, rather than the actual full, non-upgrade version to WinXP.)

If those stand-off screws are part of the chassis, I'm sure Antec included it in the case manual, or there's something about standoffs in the motherboard manual.

Anyway, it's not like it's the stupidest thing to do. When I RMA'd my motherboard I sent my bag of screws (including the standoffs) with it for some reason, and didnt get it back so I ended up with no screws. I had to get some standoffs at an electronic store here. :p They'll give you a bucket full for free, really they're not worth ****.

When i got my Antec 900 it came with something like 5-6 brass stand offs(i cant remember exactly) but they were pre-installed(screwed in already) and also there was a little plastic bag with random screws in for the HDD covers etc and also there was another 3 brass stand offs so i had plenty to screw my mobo back in.
I wouldnt run a pc with only 3 screws holding the mobo in though.

By the way thats a nice processor you got there ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom