Only detecting 1 core

Status
Not open for further replies.
when adding a major hardware component like a processor, you should reformat to prevent problems like this. I know some configurations you don't need to reformat after installing a new cpu, but its advisable and read threads similar to this where it resolved the issue.

Upon installing windows it auto-detects your processor, if you install a new processor on the same windows install this can cause issues depending on your particular configuration.

I would flash the BIOS over to the latest version before I'd go through all the trouble of reformating a hard drive. It's a simple process at least for ASUS boards and EZ Flash, not sure what your board has to offer. I would go to the manufacturers website and check the changelog and see if it says anything about multi-core or about your proc.

Secondly, make sure it's installed properly in the windows contro panel. Under hardware manager it should say your processors model, if not, uninstall it by right clicking and then click find new hardware and let windows do it's magic.

Alright device manager lists the proper processor twice. Task manager still has only 1 cpu usage history and cpu-z still shows only 1 core while it still identifies the correct processor name. I used @bios to update to the latest version. It required a restart so I assume it did in fact update. Nothing has changed.

You can use CPUZ to just and make sure that your BIOS was flashed.

If it was, and the problem still presists, format..

Run windows update to, I have seen updates for some multi core AMD CPU's.

Try this. Open up task manager (Ctrl+Alt+Del) and go to the processes tab. Once there, right click on any process that wasn't started by windows or a service, and click on "Set Affinity..." If that option is greyed out, or the box that opens up only allows you to select Core 0, then there is something wrong and you should back-up and reformat. However, if it allows you to select Core 0 and Core 1 then there is just some error in CPU-Z. (That software is often not correct on a few different things).

The fact that it's listed in the Device List twice tells me that it's more then likely working properly.

the options i have when i right click are end process, end process tree, debug (grey) and set priority. None of these allow me to set affinity. As I am looking at the process list however I can occasionally see in the cpu column some switch from 00 to 01.

Can you give me a screen shot of your task list? If your options don't allow you to set affinity then your problem is simple - update windows. If you cant host it any where just e-mail it to admin (AT) stealthytech.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom