One more PSU Question...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kdar

Daemon Poster
OK. Do you guys think it better to get now some thing like 600w or more. Or just get some thing like in area of 500w--550w...

I going to get ATI X1900XT and I think it need atlist PSU with 450w. So will 500-550 PSU good for now.
Or get some thing like 600w so maybe dont worry about near future update for PSU (if vid. cards will ask more PSU w.).

It depends upon what is the most reliable psu within your price range. If you have the choice of a less reliable brand at a higher wattage or a more reliable brand at a lesser wattage, go with the lower watt psu.

With a good brand, you would probably make off with a 400w power supply. But I don't recommend that.

Worry less about wattage and more about current capacity of the rails. Most modern motherboard/processor combos require at least 16 amp on the 12v rails. I suggest you get something with at least 18a. Read the power requirements from your motherboard manual. Google "power supply calculator" for a couple utilities that will put you into the required power ballpark. If you can afford it, highball a tad for future expansion.

Very true. It's more the actual amps on the rails which determines how good the PSU is. For example, the silverstone power supply I am selling has 32 amps on the +12v rail, the antec TPII 550 has 24 amps on the +12v rail. Also, you know how they say weight can be used as a measure of quality for power supplys? Well the silverstone power supply weighs 7lbs, the exact weight as my PCP&C 510 SLI, which is basicly one of the best power supplys in town, aside from the higher watt power supplys from the same company. It also costs $220, so that says something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom