Which one to choose - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login

Old 01-09-2014, 11:03 AM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Default Which one to choose

I currently have 4GB 2x2GB Ripjaw memory from my previous rig but its 1.6v now I don't know whether to get 8GB 2x4GB kit or SSD. I have WD black as my main hard drive and I don't seems to have any problem with it, loads pretty fine for me :/.

this will be add to my new Haswell upgrade.

Kingston 120GB SSDNow V300 Drive SATA 6Gb/s 3 2.5" (7mm height) Solid State Hard Drive - (SV300S37A/120G) [SV300S37A/120G]

ncore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 11:08 AM   #2 (permalink)
There and Back again

Default Re: Which one to choose

Not a lot of applications really need 8GB of ram. You can always get more ram later, but get the benefits of the SSD now.

Dell 4K S2817Q / Logitech Z-680 / Func MS3 Mouse / Corsair K70 LUX rgb
NZXT Source 530 / i5-7600K / Corsair H100i v2 / ASRock Z270 Extreme4
SM951 M2 256GB / 850 evo 1TB / Seagate 2TB / WD 2TB
2x16GB Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000 / evga Classified GTX 980 ti / Seasonic M12II 850W

Nukem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 01:17 PM   #3 (permalink)
Build Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nukem View Post
Not a lot of applications really need 8GB of ram. You can always get more ram later, but get the benefits of the SSD now.
Actually these days having 8GB is rather mandatory, especially if you want to move to SSD (no pagefile). Most people aren't like me where keeping RAM clear is concerned, so if the OS is taking 1GB or more you have less than 3GB for both your background programs and the main program at hand.

To the OP, that all depends on what you really want. You won't ever think you "need" an SSD until you experience one. The real experience is having an SSD then moving back to a HDD. You realize just how ridiculously fast an SSD really is.
That being said to the OP, don't buy the Kingston. The Samsung EVO is a much better drive.

Samsung 840 EVO 120G Basic SSD SATA 3, 7mm UltraSlim with Migration Software & AES Encryption PC/MAC - MZ-7TE120BW - Scan.co.uk

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 01:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PP Mguire View Post
Actually these days having 8GB is rather mandatory, especially if you want to move to SSD (no pagefile). Most people aren't like me where keeping RAM clear is concerned, so if the OS is taking 1GB or more you have less than 3GB for both your background programs and the main program at hand.

To the OP, that all depends on what you really want. You won't ever think you "need" an SSD until you experience one. The real experience is having an SSD then moving back to a HDD. You realize just how ridiculously fast an SSD really is.
That being said to the OP, don't buy the Kingston. The Samsung EVO is a much better drive.

Samsung 840 EVO 120G Basic SSD SATA 3, 7mm UltraSlim with Migration Software & AES Encryption PC/MAC - MZ-7TE120BW - Scan.co.uk
Been seeing that other people recommend this SSD, but what's the difference between evo and v300?
ncore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 02:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
Build Guru

Samsung make some of the best SSDs on the market with extremely high reliability and even though their EVO line is their "budget" "affordable" line they are some of the fastest too. The EVO line is also designed for longevity.

That Kingston drive use a Sandforce controller which I do not trust.

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is online now   Reply With Quote