Which one is better?

Status
Not open for further replies.

magouster

Daemon Poster
Should I rather get the Optie 144, or the 3700+ ? I'm on a very tight budget, and while overclocking is an option, I'd go without it as much as possible. The 3700+ OCs pretty well too, doesn't it? And does a 1:1 FSB/RAM make a massive difference, as I have a gig of ValueRAM already, which I know doesn't OC too good? Will it severely cripple performance if I run a divider? I guess I'm asking if there's a point in OCing if I have to run a divider? Thanks alot guys!

Alot of ppl have to run dividers if they OC alot and dont have good RAM (DDR500+, etc.) If you OC enough and have the divider set right you can have your RAM run at normal speeds still. You could easily OC the 144 to the 3700+'s speed and probably not have to use a divider (i OCed my P4 the .4Ghz with no divider with 1 stick of value RAM and 1 stick of good RAM). YOu would save money with the 144 which u could throw the money into another part you want. You could also get the 146 for cheaper than the 3700+ and OC that the .2GHz if you dotn feel comfortable goin the .4GHz on the 144.

Great thanks. I'm not afraid of OCing, so I should be fine! So apart from the difference in clockspeeds, what's the difference in architecture of the Optie 144 and 3700+ core? Which is better when running at the same speed? I know the Opteron only uses 67W as opposed to the 3700+ that uses 89W but that propably goes out the door when you start OCing anyway!

Also, I am planning on getting the DFI Lanparty UT Ultra NF3, since I bought this REALY REALY REALY expensive 7800GS, and as such, do not want to move over to PCI-e now. I'm basically selling the PC I'm on now, to fund my new purchases. Its only a Athlon 1200MHz, with 768MB SDRAM, and a 40Gig HDD, so selling it will only cover a part of the new Mobo and CPU. Is the DFI good for a OCing S939/AGP Mobo, or are there known problems with it? While its not really futureproof, I would rather get this than the ASRock AGP/PCI-e Mobo, cause I understand it's pretty $hitty at overclocking! I'll worry about the future once I run into a brick wall! Or are there better S939/AGP OCing Mobos I should rather look into?

Thanks for your expert advice and opinions guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom