one 8800ultra/gtx or two 8800gt's?

Status
Not open for further replies.
for 3870's, yes. But maybe not for 3870 X2's.

is there that much of a difference? wouldn't it actually be less power consumption because you have both chips on one board, therefore you would only need one cooler, albeit a more powerful one, but not two. Also the x2 is almost identical to 3870's in crossfire, so where does the extra power consumption come from?

is there that much of a difference? wouldn't it actually be less power consumption because you have both chips on one board, therefore you would only need one cooler, albeit a more powerful one, but not two. Also the x2 is almost identical to 3870's in crossfire, so where does the extra power consumption come from?
one 3870 X2 would definitely run on a Corsair 520W PSU. But two of them.. well, considering that they have two GPU's each, that's 4 GPU's to power.

But you'd probably be able to run four RV670 GPU's on a 650W PSU

aaaaaaaahh, i missed that you were talking about crossfiring the x2's. yeah that makes sense.

and yes the ATI's do use less power. If I am not mistaken the ATI 38xx series has 55nm die's and the nvidia 8800 series all use like 80nm or something that.

aaaaaaaahh, i missed that you were talking about crossfiring the x2's. yeah that makes sense.

and yes the ATI's do use less power. If I am not mistaken the ATI 38xx series has 55nm die's and the nvidia 8800 series all use like 80nm or something that.
G92 GPU's use 65nm die's, which are used in the 8800 GT's and 512MB GTS cards

I think I recall reading that ATI has used some of its power saving techniques used by their mobile cards for the RV670 GPU, so idle power consumption is significantly lower.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom